Inspiration4: Raffle for a trip to space (US only)

• Thread starter mfb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, an American businessman named Jared Isaacman has purchased a Crew Dragon trip to space called Inspiration4, which is planned for October 2021 and is expected to last several days. The crew includes Isaacman himself, a hospital employee he supports, the winner of an entrepreneur competition from a platform he runs, and a randomly selected raffle winner. SpaceX has increased its flight plan for the Crew Dragon, which now includes multiple private flights in addition to the flights with NASA. The winner of the raffle, Chris Sembroski, has experience working with rockets and other space projects. The hospital employee, Hayley Arceneaux, was a former patient and will be the youngest American and first person with a prosthesis to go to
TL;DR Summary
Inspiration4 is a planned private trip to space for several days in October 2021. One of its four seats is decided by a raffle.
Limited to "U.S. persons" as defined by ITAR.

Jared Isaacman, an American businessman, bought a Crew Dragon trip to space: Inspiration4. Currently planned for October 2021 (which would make it the first private flight of Crew Dragon, and the first dedicated private flight to orbit ever), the flight is expected to last a few days. On board: Isaacman, a person from a hospital he supports, the winner of an entrepreneur competition from a platform he runs, and a random raffle winner. Donations to that hospital increase the chance to win but they are not required to participate, you just have to scroll all the way to the end on the sign-up page: https://www.inspiration4.com/

SpaceX has rapidly increased its Crew Dragon flight plan. The original plan with NASA was one flight per year for Dragon and Starliner each. After Starliner's mishap Dragon got additional flights - two crewed flights (+two uncrewed) in 2020, two more are planned for 2021 (April and September). In addition to that it now has the Inspiration4 flight, Axiom-1 to the ISS (early 2022), a Space Adventures mission (late 2021/early 2022?), and likely two or three more flights for Axiom Space in 2022-2023. All these might face delays of course. There are also three more NASA missions until 2026.

Likes Haborix
Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely felt like a win-win donating to St. Jude. Someone said to me, "but what if it explodes?!" To which I replied: WHO CARES!

Nice. I'm a St. Jude donor, but I'll watch from the ground. I never was able to master the zero gravity toilet training part...

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
The hospital employee has been made public: Hayley Arceneaux, former patient herself 20 years ago. Will be the youngest American (at age 29) and the first person ever with a prosthesis to go to space.

Likes Haborix
I expect that the lists of participants in the raffle and entrepreneur competitions were heavily leaning towards people interested in spaceflight, but the winners are still exceptional in that aspect.

Crew is now complete
Jared Isaacman - entrepreneur who pays for everything
Hayley Arceneaux - hospital employee
Chris Sembroski - raffle winner*, has worked with rockets and more in tons of different projects
Sian Proctor - entrepreneur competition winner, has participated in Mars mission simulations and more, was finalist in a NASA astronaut selection

*the original winner couldn't go and gave the seat to his friend, i.e. Chris Sembroski. That makes it less surprising that the winner is that closely connected to spaceflight.

Last edited:

1. What is Inspiration4?

Inspiration4 is a fundraising campaign organized by billionaire entrepreneur Jared Isaacman to raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. The campaign includes a raffle for a trip to space on the SpaceX Dragon spacecraft.

2. How do I enter the raffle for a trip to space?

To enter the raffle, you must make a donation to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital through the Inspiration4 website. Each $10 donation counts as one entry into the raffle. The more you donate, the more chances you have to win.

3. Who is eligible to enter the raffle?

The raffle is open to legal residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. You must also be able to pass a basic health screening to be eligible to win the trip to space.

4. When will the winner of the raffle be announced?

The winner of the raffle will be announced on September 30, 2021. The winner will be selected randomly from all eligible entries and will be notified via email or phone.

5. What is included in the trip to space?

The trip to space includes a three-day journey aboard the SpaceX Dragon spacecraft, with the launch and landing taking place at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The winner will also receive training and preparation for the trip, as well as accommodations and meals during the journey.