Decoherence and Wave Function Collapse

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the author is discussing whether or not decoherence is the mechanism that takes us from the quantum world to our classical world. They say that if this is so, then quantum wave functions never actually collapse. There are two arguments against this: one deals with wave functions collapsing, and the other deals with the system just starting to "look" classical, with no actual collapse occurring. However, the author argues that there is no real collapse, only apparent collapse. There is also a discussion of how much interaction is necessary for decoherence. Finally, the author provides a link to a more in-depth article on the matter.
LikesIntuition
Hi,

I was wondering whether we are sure (I know, strong word) that decoherence is the mechanism that takes us from the quantum world to our classical world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically decoherence is a phenomenon where we have a bunch of quantum states that, when piled onto each other, look classical? If this is so, then quantum wave functions never actually collapse, right?

I have heard arguments that simple interaction of quantum systems can't cause wave function collapse, because all making two quantum "things" interact would just provide more possible states. I've seen that argument used to defend the idea that the act of observation itself is what collapses the wave function of a quantum system. Is there any merit to this, in your most objective opinion?

The thing I'm struggling with is these two arguments are tough to compare, as one deals with wave functions actually collapsing, and the other deals with the system just starting to "look" classical, with no actual collapse occurring.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
LikesIntuition said:
I was wondering whether we are sure (I know, strong word) that decoherence is the mechanism that takes us from the quantum world to our classical world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically decoherence is a phenomenon where we have a bunch of quantum states that, when piled onto each other, look classical? If this is so, then quantum wave functions never actually collapse, right?
Correct.

LikesIntuition said:
I have heard arguments that simple interaction of quantum systems can't cause wave function collapse, because all making two quantum "things" interact would just provide more possible states.
Correct. Check out "Quantum Enigma" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, page number eludes me at the moment.

(Sadly Bruce passed away, and I've only learned this fact just now. I had regularly contact with him, and I'm saddened to read the news.)

Last edited:
LikesIntuition said:
I have heard arguments that simple interaction of quantum systems can't cause wave function collapse, because all making two quantum "things" interact would just provide more possible states.

That's true.

But there are a few issues.

First it can't explain actual collapse but it can explain apparent collapse. The issue lies in the difference between a proper mixed state and an improper one. Decoherence converts superposition's into improper mixed states. If it was a proper one then collapse would have occurred, but since there is no way to tell the difference the argument is for all practical purposes collapse has occurred. You can find the detail here:
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/5439/1/Decoherence_Essay_arXiv_version.pdf

Secondly, although it's usually not emphasised, but the formalism of QM doesn't actually have collapse. Its really an interpretation thing, and quite a few interpretations don't have it at all. To see it you need an axiomatic treatment. You will find such in Ballentine - QM - A Modern Development:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And finally collapse, in those interpretations that have it, only applies to so called filtering type observations which these days is looked on as a state preparation procedure. This means you have simply prepared the system a different way and because of that it obviously has a different state. Since a state is associated with a preparation procedure all you have done is change the preparation procedure so obviously you will have another state.

The bottom line is collapse isn't quite the issue it once was.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
StevieTNZ said:
Correct.

Yes and no.

The issue is apparent collapse vs actual collapse.

Apparent collapse - yes - actual collapse no.

But as I explained above actual collapse isn't quite the issue it once was.

We now understand QM a lot better.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks! So do we *know* that the world we see is due to decoherence, and not due to actual collapse? How much interaction is necessary for decoherence?

LikesIntuition said:
Thanks! So do we *know* that the world we see is due to decoherence, and not due to actual collapse? How much interaction is necessary for decoherence?

Its a bit more subtle than that. We know the world we see APPEARS the way it does due to decoherence. The bridging between that 'appears' and 'actual' is a matter of interpretation. That link I gave on decoherence and the measurement problem discusses the issue.

What is required for decoherence varies with the situation. For example calculations show a few stray photons from the CMBR is enough to decohere a dust particle and give it an apparent definite position.

But we have the quantum eraser experiment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_eraser_experiment

What this shows is decoherence, in simple cases can even be unscrambled.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
Its a bit more subtle than that. We know the world we see APPEARS the way it does due to decoherence. The bringing between that 'appears' and 'actual' is a matter of interpretation. That link I gave on decoherence and the measurement problem discusses the issue.

I will check that link out. I have a couple more questions (which you can ignore if they're explained in the link).

First, is the reason our ability to measure things appears to be so important in quantum mechanics simply due to the fact that any observation we can ever make about the world will be enough to cause decoherence?

Second, we originally viewed QM and wave functions as giving us a list of potentialities for different states, right? So now we are saying that with decoherence, the "state" isn't even really something that exists, aren't we? It just *looks* like states happen. So our list of potentials is like a list of ways in which a system could appear when it decoherent? That seems weird and almost circular in logic, doesn't it?

Thanks again, this is really helpful!

LikesIntuition said:
First, is the reason our ability to measure things appears to be so important in quantum mechanics simply due to the fact that any observation we can ever make about the world will be enough to cause decoherence?

The reason its so important is simply its the key axiom of an axiomatic treatment.

For completeness I will state it:

An observation/measurement with possible outcomes i = 1, 2, 3 ... is described by a POVM Ei such that the probability of outcome i is determined by Ei, and only by Ei, in particular it does not depend on what POVM it is part of.

One then applies what is called Gleason's theorem to prove a formula for that probability known as the Born rule, which is there exists a positive operator P of unit trace such that the probability of Ei is Trace (PEi). By definition P is called the state of the system.

Without a background in the math of QM the above probably will not make much sense, but the key point is they are basically the only two axioms of an axiomatic treatment. But it really is just one axiom because of that very important Gleason's theorem I mentioned. It also shows exactly what a systems state is - simply something implied by the basic axiom that aids in calculating the probabilities of outcomes.

LikesIntuition said:
Second, we originally viewed QM and wave functions as giving us a list of potentialities for different states, right?

A wavefunction is simply a slightly different way of expressing the state. As such its simply an aid in calculating probabilities of outcomes - in particular its square gives the probability of observing a particle at a certain position. This view of the wavefunction has been known since at least 1927 when Dirac came up with his transformation theory, which is basically what we call QM today.

LikesIntuition said:
So now we are saying that with decoherence, the "state" isn't even really something that exists, aren't we? It just *looks* like states happen. So our list of potentials is like a list of ways in which a system could appear when it decoherent? That seems weird and almost circular in logic, doesn't it?

As I explained the state is simply a mathematical requirement following from the basic axiom of QM. According to the FORMALISM of QM it doesn't exist in a real sense - its simply an aid, required by the mathematics, to calculate probabilities. However different interpretations give it a different meaning for their own reasons.

BTW what I have been talking about is the real deal you will not usually find in popularisations, or even beginning textbooks. Gleason's theorem and its importance is normally only discussed in advanced treatments. An exception is The Structure and Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics by Hughes:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674843924/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is decoherence?

Decoherence is the process by which a quantum system interacts with its environment, causing the system to lose its quantum coherence and behave like a classical system. It can be thought of as the "collapse" of the quantum wave function into a definite state.

2. How does decoherence lead to wave function collapse?

Decoherence causes the wave function to interact with the environment, creating a superposition of different states. As these states become entangled with the environment, they become less distinguishable and appear to collapse into a definite state.

3. Can decoherence be reversed?

No, decoherence is an irreversible process. Once a system has decohered, it is difficult to undo the entanglement with the environment and restore its quantum coherence.

4. How does decoherence affect the measurement of quantum states?

Decoherence can cause the collapse of a quantum state before it can be measured, making it difficult to observe and study certain quantum phenomena. It also makes it difficult to maintain quantum superpositions in larger systems, as they are more prone to interactions with the environment.

5. Can decoherence be controlled or prevented?

While decoherence cannot be completely prevented, it can be controlled through careful design of experiments and isolation of quantum systems from their environment. Techniques such as quantum error correction and quantum error avoidance can also help mitigate the effects of decoherence.