Decoherence in measurement apparatus

In summary, decoherence occurs when a measuring apparatus measures a single quantum property, such as spin. The result of the measurement decoheres into the apparatus until it is read, after which it decoheres into the world. The measurement is kept isolated from other influences, but it is also affected by environmental decoherence. It takes a long time for the electron to be affected by decoherence, and it is only upon entanglement with the apparatus that both undergo decoherence.
entropy1
I was wondering about decoherence:

Suppose a measuring apparatus measures a single quantum property (say, spin). After the actual measurement of the property has taken place, the result 'decoheres' into the apparatus until the apparatus shows the measurement result, after which it decoheres into the world. At least, I am told such.

I was wondering about the physical environment of the apparatus; the material the apparatus is made of is prone to numerous influences too. However, the measurement performed is kept separate from all these influences.

My question is what the difference is between these two types of decoherence is in this context, and how the measurement is kept isolated.

UPDATE: Considering this, it also occurred to me that after the measurement apparatus shows the measurement result, the result is propagating according to the 'environmental' decoherence again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
I was wondering about decoherence:
Suppose a measuring apparatus measures a single quantum property (say, spin). After the actual measurement of the property has taken place, the result 'decoheres' into the apparatus until the apparatus reads the measurement result, after which it decoheres into the world. At least, I am told such.
I don't quite understand this part... are you saying the apparatus undergoes decoherence before it measures the spin? You say measurement (edited from the word 'that') has taken place but then say "until the apparatus reads the measurement result". Reading a measurement having taken place, and if so from what?

I think that when you speak of measuring the spin of an electron, it takes a very long time for the electron to be affected by decoherence. It is upon entanglement with the apparatus that both would undergo decoherence.

Note edits.

Likes entropy1
StevieTNZ said:
I don't quite understand this part... are you saying the apparatus undergoes decoherence before it measures the spin? You say measurement (edited from the word 'that') has taken place but then say "until the apparatus reads the measurement result". Reading a measurement having taken place, and if so from what?

I think that when you speak of measuring the spin of an electron, it takes a very long time for the electron to be affected by decoherence. It is upon entanglement with the apparatus that both would undergo decoherence.

Note edits.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was wondering if I was using the correct terminology. I have rephrased it in 'shows' (in the readout of the apparatus). :wink:

1. What is decoherence in measurement apparatus?

Decoherence in measurement apparatus refers to the process in which a quantum system becomes entangled with its surrounding environment, resulting in the loss of quantum coherence and the emergence of classical behavior. This can cause difficulties in accurately measuring and observing quantum phenomena.

2. How does decoherence occur in measurement apparatus?

Decoherence occurs when a quantum system interacts with particles or fields in its environment, causing the system to become entangled with them. This results in a loss of information and coherence in the quantum system, making it difficult to observe and measure its properties.

3. What are the consequences of decoherence in measurement apparatus?

The consequences of decoherence in measurement apparatus include the loss of quantum coherence, which can lead to the breakdown of quantum mechanics and the emergence of classical behavior. This can make it difficult to accurately measure and observe quantum phenomena, and can also affect the stability and reliability of quantum devices.

4. How can we minimize the effects of decoherence in measurement apparatus?

There are several strategies for minimizing the effects of decoherence in measurement apparatus, such as using quantum error correction codes, implementing quantum error correction techniques, and designing systems with improved isolation and control of environmental interactions. Additionally, advancements in technology and materials may also help reduce the impact of decoherence on measurement apparatus.

5. What are some current research efforts focused on decoherence in measurement apparatus?

Current research efforts on decoherence in measurement apparatus are focused on understanding the mechanisms and factors that contribute to decoherence, as well as developing techniques and technologies to mitigate its effects. This includes studying new materials and architectures for quantum devices, exploring new methods for error correction and control, and investigating the use of quantum entanglement and quantum coherence for improved measurement and observation capabilities.