Decreasing size of person's shadow as they walk toward a lamp

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Akash47
Messages
53
Reaction score
5
Member advised that effort must be shown at a solution attempt.

Homework Statement


If a man of height 6ft moves with 5ft/sec velocity towards a lamp hanging at 15ft height, then at what rate his shadow will decrease?

Homework Equations


Not sure but dynamic equations can help.

The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea about how I can approach.So I want some ideas to reach the solution.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Akash47 said:

Homework Statement


If a man of height 6ft moves with 5ft/sec velocity towards a lamp hanging at 15ft height, then at what rate his shadow will decrease?

Homework Equations


Not sure but dynamic equations can help.

3. The attempt at a
Evolution

I have no idea about how I can approach.So I want some ideas to reach the solution.
A drawing will help. Can you find the length of the shadow (s) in terms of the position of the man (x), and the heights H and h?

upload_2018-11-6_15-1-44.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-11-6_15-1-44.png
    upload_2018-11-6_15-1-44.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 415
Put the lamp at X=0, Y=15.
The position of the man will be X.