Deduce if the spectrum is discrete/continuous from the potential

In summary, the professor explains that for a one-dimensional potential of 1/r (r>0), the energy domains of E>0 and E<0 will result in continuous and discrete energy levels respectively. This is because when r goes to infinity, the potential goes to 0. A proof can be found online, and there are also systems where positive energy bound states are found within the continuous spectrum.
QuasarBoy543298
TL;DR Summary
I have one-dimensional problem with a one-dimensional potential
I want to know the energy domains that will result in discrete energy levels and the energy domains that will result in continuous energy levels
I want to know the energy domains that will result in discrete energy levels and the energy domains that will result in continuous energy levels

In my lecture, my professor gave the example of v(r) = 1/r (r>0) (hydrogen atom basically). he told us that we can know immediately that for E>0 we will get continuous spectrum and for E<0 discrete spectra.
As far as I understood him, its because when r goes to infinity V goes to 0.

I would like to know the full explanation and why it works (some sort of proof would be nice ).
I tried to look for a decent explanation in Sakurai ( the coursebook) but unfortunately, I couldn't find one

Physics news on Phys.org
saar321412 said:
Summary: I have one-dimensional problem with a one-dimensional potential

In my lecture, my professor gave the example of v(r) = 1/r (r>0) (hydrogen atom basically). he told us that we can know immediately that for E>0 we will get continuous spectrum and for E<0 discrete spectra.
As far as I understood him, its because when r goes to infinity V goes to 0.

I would like to know the full explanation and why it works (some sort of proof would be nice ).
I tried to look for a decent explanation in Sakurai ( the coursebook) but unfortunately, I couldn't find one
If you assume for simplicity that the potential goes to ##0## at infinity, then ##E < 0## results in bound states that have a discrete spectrum. And ## E > 0## results in scattering states that typically have a continuous spectrum.

You could search online for a proof of this.

Interestingly enough, there are actually systems where positive energy bound states are emebedded in the continuous spectrum. See ballentine.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the difference between a discrete and continuous spectrum?

A discrete spectrum is composed of distinct, isolated lines or bands of wavelengths, while a continuous spectrum contains an unbroken range of wavelengths.

2. How can the potential affect the spectrum?

The potential can affect the spectrum by determining the energy levels of the system, which in turn determines the wavelengths of light that are emitted or absorbed.

3. Can a potential produce both a discrete and continuous spectrum?

Yes, a potential can produce both a discrete and continuous spectrum depending on the specific conditions and energy levels of the system.

4. How can we deduce if the spectrum is discrete or continuous from the potential?

We can deduce if the spectrum is discrete or continuous by analyzing the energy levels of the system and determining if there are distinct, isolated lines or a continuous range of wavelengths.

5. What other factors besides the potential can affect the spectrum?

Other factors that can affect the spectrum include the temperature and composition of the system, as well as any external influences such as magnetic fields or radiation. Additionally, the resolution and sensitivity of the instrument used to measure the spectrum can also play a role.