1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deducing the solution of the von Neumann equation

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \hat{\rho}(t)=? [/tex] [tex]
    |\psi(t)\rangle=U(t,t_{0})|\psi(t_{0})\rangle [/tex] [tex]
    \imath\hbar\partial_{t}\hat{p}=[\hat{H},\hat{\rho}]
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    \imath\hbar\partial_{t}\hat{p}=[\hat{H},\hat{\rho}] \Leftrightarrow\imath\hbar\partial_{t}\hat{p}=\hat{H}\hat{\rho}-\hat{\rho}\hat{H}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I already know the solution: [tex]\hat{\rho}(t)=\hat{U}\hat{\rho}(0)\hat{U}^{+}[/tex]
    But where do I get this from? How do I know that I have to write the time evolution operator multiplied once in front of the density operator and once the Hermitian conjugate after it?

Also, I tried to verify the solution:
    [tex]\Rightarrow\imath\hbar\partial_{t}\hat{U}\hat{\rho}(0)\hat{U}^{+}=\hat{H}\hat{U}\hat{\rho}(0)\hat{U}^{+}-\hat{U}\hat{\rho}(0)\hat{U}^{+}\hat{H}=[H,\hat{\rho}(t)][/tex]
    Can't I take any other operator instead of the time evolution operator at this place, since in my attempt to verify the solution the [itex]\hat{U}[/itex] goes away again?

Or is this just guessing as one way to solve a differential equation. Then, still, how do you get the idea?

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you use the definition of the von Neumann density operator ?

4. May 27, 2012 #3
    The definition should be [itex]\hat{\rho}=\sum_{i}p_{n}|\psi(t)\rangle\langle\psi(t)|[/itex]
    I can do with that:
    [tex]\partial_{t}\hat{\rho}=\partial_{t}\sum_{i}p_{n}| \psi(t)\rangle\langle\psi(t)|+ \sum_{i} p_{n}|\psi(t) \rangle\partial_{t}\langle\psi(t)| \Leftrightarrow[/tex][tex]

\partial_{t}\hat{\rho}=\frac{1}{\imath\hbar}Hp_{n}|\psi(t)\rangle\langle\psi(t)|+\sum_{i}p_{n}|\psi(t)\rangle\frac{1}{\imath\hbar}H\langle\psi(t)| \Leftrightarrow[/tex][tex]
    \partial_{t}\hat{\rho}=\frac{1}{\imath\hbar}\hat{H}p_{n}|\psi(t)\rangle\langle\psi(t)|+\frac{1}{ \imath\hbar}\sum_{i}p_{n}|\psi(t)\rangle\langle \psi(t)\hat{H}|[/tex]

5. Jun 20, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook