Help with second quantization practice problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the Heisenberg equation of motion and the commutation relations to show that the given expressions for ##\hat{H}## and ##\hat{\psi}## obey the Heisenberg equation. The conversation also discusses the need to rearrange terms and use the orthonormality of the wave functions in order to reach the desired result.
CMJ96
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hi, to help further my understanding of the second quantization for one of my modules I would like to show that the following expressions
$$ \hat{H} = \Sigma_{ij} \langle i| \hat{T} | j \rangle \hat{a_i }^{\dagger} \hat{a_j} $$
$$\hat{\psi}(r,t)= \Sigma_k \psi_k(r) \hat{a}_k(t)$$
Obey the Heisenberg equation
$$i \hbar \frac{d\hat{a}_k}{dt}=\Sigma_j \langle k | \hat{T} |j \rangle \hat{a}_j$$
I started by subbing ##\hat{\psi}## and ##\hat{H}## into the Heisenberg equation of motion for a generic operator
$$ i \hbar \frac{\partial \hat{O}_H}{\partial t}= \left[\hat{O}_H,\hat{H} \right] $$
This gave me
$$\Sigma_k \psi_k(r) \hat{a}_k(t) \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{H} | j \rangle \hat{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j - \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{H} | j \rangle \hat{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j \Sigma_k \psi_k(r) \hat{a}_k(t)=\Sigma_k \psi_k (r) \frac{\partial \hat{a}_k (t)}{\partial t}$$
I canceled the ##\Sigma_k \psi_k(r) ## to give me the following but I'm not sure how to proceed after that
$$\ \hat{a}_k(t) \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{H} | j \rangle \hat{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j - \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{H} | j \rangle \hat{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j \hat{a}_k(t)= \frac{\partial \hat{a}_k (t)}{\partial t}$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CMJ96 said:
This gave me
$$\Sigma_k \psi_k(r) \hat{a}_k(t) \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{H} | j \rangle \hat{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j - \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{H} | j \rangle \hat{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j \Sigma_k \psi_k(r) \hat{a}_k(t)=\Sigma_k \psi_k (r) \frac{\partial \hat{a}_k (t)}{\partial t}$$
For reference, label this equation as (eq. 1).
(1) Should ##\hat{H}## be replaced by ##\hat{T}## in the two terms on the left of (eq. 1)?
(2) I believe a factor of ##i \hbar## is missing on the right side.
(3) You can replace the partial derivative with respect to ##t## on the right side by an ordinary derivative with respect to ##t## since ##\hat{a}_k(t)## is a function of a single variable, ##t##.

I canceled the ##\Sigma_k \psi_k(r) ## to give me the following but I'm not sure how to proceed after that
$$\ \hat{a}_k(t) \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{H} | j \rangle \hat{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j - \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{H} | j \rangle \hat{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j \hat{a}_k(t)= \frac{\partial \hat{a}_k (t)}{\partial t}$$
Call this (eq. 2).

To get to (eq. 2), you can't actually cancel ##\Sigma_k \psi_k(r) ## on both sides of (eq. 1). But you can get (eq. 2) by multiplying both sides of (eq. 1) by an arbitrarily chosen ##\psi_n^*(r)## and integrating over all ##r##. Using the orthonormality of the ##\psi_k(r)##'s, you will end up with (eq. 2) except your index ##k## in (eq. 2) would be ##n##. However, at that point, you could rename ##n## as ##k## and therefore have (eq. 2) as you wrote it. Maybe all of this is what you actually meant when you said that you "canceled the ##\Sigma_k \psi_k(r) ## ".

So, your (eq. 2) actually looks OK to me except for fixing up points (1), (2), and (3) that I listed in regard to (eq. 1).

Since the various ##\langle i | \hat{T} | j \rangle## 's are just numbers, you can move ##\hat{a}_k(t)## in the first term of (eq. 2) inside the summation to obtain
$$\ \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{T} | j \rangle \hat{a}_k \hat {a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j - \Sigma_{ij} \langle i | \hat{T} | j \rangle \hat{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j \hat{a}_k= i \hbar \frac{d\hat{a}_k }{dt}$$
Now try to rearrange the order of the ##\hat a## operators in the first term so that they match the order of the operators in the second term. That is, try to move the operator ##\hat{a}_k## past the operators ##{a}_i ^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j## in the first term. You will need to invoke the commutation relations obeyed by these operators. See what you end up with.

Thank you for the help and I apologise for taking so long to reply
Your help was very useful, I used the commutation relation
$$\left[a_k,a_i ^{\dagger} \right] = a_k a_i ^{\dagger} - a_i ^{\dagger} a_k = \delta_{ki} $$
Rearranging this and replacing ##a_k a_i ^{\dagger} ## (and using the identity ##\langle i | j \rangle =\delta_{ij}## ) I ended up with the following
$$\sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle \langle k | i \rangle a_j + \sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle a_i ^{\dagger} a_k a_j - \sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle a_i ^{\dagger} a_j a_k = i \hbar \frac{d a_k}{dt}$$
The last two terms on the left hand side cancel off as ##a_j## and ##a_k## commute and since ##\langle i | i \rangle =1## the first term becomes what I was looking for
$$\sum_{j} \langle k | \hat{T} | j \rangle \hat{a_j} = i \hbar \frac{d\hat{a_k}}{dt}$$
Thank you!

CMJ96 said:
I used the commutation relation
$$\left[a_k,a_i ^{\dagger} \right] = a_k a_i ^{\dagger} - a_i ^{\dagger} a_k = \delta_{ki} $$
Rearranging this and replacing ##a_k a_i ^{\dagger} ## (and using the identity ##\langle i | j \rangle =\delta_{ij}## ) I ended up with the following
$$\sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle \langle k | i \rangle a_j + \sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle a_i ^{\dagger} a_k a_j - \sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle a_i ^{\dagger} a_j a_k = i \hbar \frac{d a_k}{dt}$$
The last two terms on the left hand side cancel off as ##a_j## and ##a_k## commute and since ##\langle i | i \rangle =1## the first term becomes what I was looking for
$$\sum_{j} \langle k | \hat{T} | j \rangle \hat{a_j} = i \hbar \frac{d\hat{a_k}}{dt}$$
OK. Personally, I wouldn't bother to bring in the identity ##\langle i | j \rangle =\delta_{ij}##. From the commutation relation, we have ##\ a_k a_i ^{\dagger} = a_i ^{\dagger} a_k + \delta_{ki} ##. Using this yields $$\sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle \delta_{ki}a_j+ \sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle a_i ^{\dagger} a_k a_j - \sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle a_i ^{\dagger} a_j a_k = i \hbar \frac{d a_k}{dt}$$The first term then reduces immediately to $$\sum_j \langle k| T | j \rangle a_j$$

Likes CMJ96
TSny said:
OK. Personally, I wouldn't bother to bring in the identity ##\langle i | j \rangle =\delta_{ij}##. From the commutation relation, we have ##\ a_k a_i ^{\dagger} = a_i ^{\dagger} a_k + \delta_{ki} ##. Using this yields $$\sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle \delta_{ki}a_j+ \sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle a_i ^{\dagger} a_k a_j - \sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle a_i ^{\dagger} a_j a_k = i \hbar \frac{d a_k}{dt}$$The first term then reduces immediately to $$\sum_j \langle k| T | j \rangle a_j$$
This is a more concise way of doing it, how exactly does it immediately reduce?

CMJ96 said:
This is a more concise way of doing it, how exactly does it immediately reduce?

When summing over ##i## in ##\sum_{ij} \langle i | T | j \rangle \delta_{ki}a_j##, the only value of ##i## that will contribute is when ##i = k##, due to the Kronecker delta ## \delta_{ki}##.

Likes CMJ96
Ahhh yes, I understand now, thank you very much, you have been very helpful

1. What is second quantization?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe systems of multiple particles. It involves representing quantum states as combinations of creation and annihilation operators, rather than individual particles.

2. Why is second quantization important?

Second quantization allows for a more efficient and elegant way to describe complex quantum systems with multiple particles. It also helps to simplify calculations and provides a deeper understanding of quantum phenomena.

3. What are some common applications of second quantization?

Second quantization is used in many areas of physics, including condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and quantum field theory. It is also used in chemistry to describe the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules.

4. How can I practice second quantization problems?

There are many resources available for practicing second quantization problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exercises. It is also helpful to work through problems with a study group or seek guidance from a mentor or instructor.

5. What are some common challenges in mastering second quantization?

Some common challenges in mastering second quantization include understanding the mathematical concepts and notation, visualizing abstract quantum systems, and applying the framework to real-world problems. Practice and seeking help when needed can help overcome these challenges.