Defining magnetic interaction between charged particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charged particles and their ability to translate (move) and spin. The question is raised about how two charged particles can create a magnetic field and if there is any interaction between them. The student also expresses confusion about the concept of velocity in relation to charged particles and asks for clarification.
hotram

Homework Statement

[/B]
Consider two charged particles 1 and 2, each of them able to translate (move from place to place) and to spin.

Homework Equations

I can not completely think of relevant equations at the moment.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am a bit confused on how charged particles can create magnetic fields. and if there is magnetic interaction between particle 1 and 2.

I know that when a charged particle has a velocity, it creates a magnetic field.
In class, we covered Special Relativity, but I'm still a bit confused on what velocity of a charged particle means. (As in, if particle 1 translates pass particle 2 with a velocity, does that create a magnetic field, since both particles have a velocity in either reference frame?)

Translating (moving) I am pretty sure means a charged particle has a velocity, but what about if one particle 1 is spinning while particle 2 is at rest, would that be considered the charged particle having a velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
If so, this would create a magnetic field, correct?I guess I am just confused on how two charged particles can create a magnetic field, and if there is any interaction between them. Any help would be appreciated!

1. What is the definition of magnetic interaction between charged particles?

The magnetic interaction between charged particles refers to the force exerted between two charged particles due to their motion and their magnetic fields. This force can either attract or repel the particles, depending on the orientation of their magnetic fields.

2. How does the magnetic interaction between charged particles differ from the electrostatic interaction?

The magnetic interaction between charged particles is different from the electrostatic interaction because it is dependent on the motion of the particles and their magnetic fields, whereas the electrostatic interaction is solely based on the charges of the particles. Additionally, the magnetic force can act between particles with both positive and negative charges, while the electrostatic force only acts between particles with opposite charges.

3. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic force between two charged particles?

The equation for calculating the magnetic force between two charged particles is F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the particle's velocity and the magnetic field.

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect the strength of the magnetic interaction?

The strength of the magnetic interaction between charged particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic interaction between charged particles?

The magnetic interaction between charged particles has many practical applications, such as in magnetic levitation trains, particle accelerators, electric motors, and generators. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the formation and stability of atoms, molecules, and other structures in the universe.