Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a continuous function

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am reading Schutz's "Geometrical methods of mathematical physics". He writes: "A map f:M->N is continuous at x in M if any open set of N containing f(x) contains the image of an open set of M." However, it seems to me that a more appropriate definition would be "... contains the image of a neighbourhood of x". Am I right, or am I missing something obvious?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I would think that with Schutz's definition, you'll be able to PROVE that neighbourhoods around "x" must be included in those "open sets of M".

Note, for example, that a discontinuity of value at f(x) will prevent the existence of there being any open set of N about it. I think..

4. Jun 12, 2010 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well the counter-example of the Schutz definition I'm thinking of would look something like this: http://imgur.com/ppE5t [Broken]

But maybe I need to think about it some more...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jun 12, 2010 #4
    Counterexample perhaps from R to R:
    [tex]
    f(x) = \begin{cases}
    1 & \text{if }x \in \mathbb{Q}\text{ and }x \geq 0, \\
    0 & \text{if }x \notin \mathbb{Q}\text{ and }x \geq 0, \\
    1 & \text{if }-1 < x < 0, \\
    0 & \text{if }x \leq -1.
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]​
    According to the given definition, f(x) is continuous everywhere.

6. Jun 12, 2010 #5
    What if x is an isolated point of M?

Was the definition not so written to cater for this eventuality?

7. Jun 13, 2010 #6
    No, that's not the issue. Clearly if you consider continuity at x and then forget to require an open set about x to be contained in an arbitrarily small open set about f(x), you have a worthless definition. I'm pretty sure the author meant to say "A map f:M->N is continuous at x in M if any open set of N containing f(x) contains the image of an open set of x in M."

8. Jun 13, 2010 #7
    That would satisfy nicksauce' qualms, without introducing a neighbourhood.

However the original question was should a neighbourhood be introduced and I think I answered that point since I don't think an isolated point has a neighbourhood, although it is defined to be an open set, thereby satisfying your form of words.

I found, like others, it quite hard to get my head round this particular statement of continuity, which differs subtly from the topological one I am more used to.

So I think you may have cracked it.

9. Jun 13, 2010 #8
    This is a simple counter example.

[tex]
    f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    f(x) = x,\quad\quad x\neq 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    f(0) = 1
    [/tex]

With Euclidian topology, [itex]f[/itex] is not continuous at [itex]x=0[/itex]. Now choose an arbitrary open set [itex]V\subset\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]1\in V[/itex] (that means [itex] f(0)\in V[/itex]). You can find an open set [itex]]1-\epsilon,1+\epsilon[[/itex], such that [itex]f(]1-\epsilon,1+\epsilon[)\subset V[/itex], so [itex]f[/itex] should be continuous at [itex]x=0[/itex] according to the strange definition now.

10. Jun 13, 2010 #9

Landau

Science Advisor

It is a mistake. But Schutz says it right at the following page (8):

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook