1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a unique function

1. Jan 27, 2014 #1
    Hi all, I'm wondering whether an expression which is used to describe a function in a certain domain is a different function for the same expression with a differing domain.

For example: expression; x^2.
    f(x) = x^2 for domain {1 < x < 10}
    f(x) = x^2 for domain {10 < x < 11}

Are these two f(x)'s the same function, or different functions, by definition. I couldn't be sure by Wikipedia, and it's a difficult question to type into a search engine.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi jonsploder! welcome to pf! :smile:
    they're different

they're both restrictions of the same function defined on the whole of R :wink:

4. Jan 27, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the welcome, and the reply.
    I know that they are different, however I was wondering, by the most formal definition of a function, whether they are different functions, or if indeed the domain of a function constitutes its identity as a function.

5. Jan 27, 2014 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

they're functions, and they're different

so they're different functions

the definition of a function includes its range and domain: different range and/or domain, different functions

6. Jan 27, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

The domain and codomain are part of the definition of a function.

Two functions [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal if and only if [itex]A = C[/itex] and [itex]B = D[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a)[/itex].

7. Jan 27, 2014 #6
    This definition is exactly correct. That should be your definition.

It's worth noting, however, that sometimes people get lazy about codomains and say [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal when [itex]A = C[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a) \in B\cap D[/itex].

8. Jan 27, 2014 #7

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

To explain why this definition is bad, consider
    ##f : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}##, ##f(x) = 0##
    ##g : \mathbb{R} \to \{0\}##, ##g(x) = 0##.
    Note that under the definition economicnerd gave these would be considered equal. However, g is a surjection while f is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook