1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of an unstable atom.

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Definition of an unstable atom

2. Relevant equations
    The definition = the answer.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess is an atom with an unbalance in the strong or weak nuclear forces, leading to radioactive decay. Does anyone have any better ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

What you describe I would call an unstable nucleus.
    To me, an unstable atom is one whose orbiting electrons are not in stable states. Like a hydrogen atom that has absorbed energy that puts the electron at an n=2 level. It will soon fall back to ground state and emit the energy.

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3
    It was talking about radioactive decay for the rest of the homework, so I assume that is what it was talking about. Of course, I could just put that and troll the teacher. :tongue:

5. Nov 1, 2011 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Okay, then it is the nucleus planning to rearrange itself as you said.
    Avoid antagonizing the teacher - let him concentrate on making more interesting questions for you. But do suggest an improvement in the wording for next year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook