Definition of 'compatible' operation

• Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, "the operation + is compatible with the equivalence relation R" means that the operation " + ' " can be defined on M/R, using the "+" already defined on M, and the result is independent of the representatives of the equivalence classes. This is equivalent to R being a congruence relation on (M,+), which means that it is compatible with each operation in the universal algebra \mathcal{A} with a system of operations \Omega.
mnb96
Hello,
given a monoid (M,+)
I define an equivalence relation R on (M,+)

My question is: what does it mean formally that "the operation + is compatible with the equivalence relation R" ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that you can define an operation " +' " on M/R, using the "+" already defined on M by:

[a] +' := [a + b]

Where [x] is the x's equivalence class. Note that you may always "sum" two equivalence classes as above, but when "+" is compatible with R, then the result is independent of the representatives, that is, if:

[a] = [a'], = [b']

Then:

[a] +' = [a'] +' [b'] = [a + b] = [a' + b']

Ok! Thanks a lot.
Is that equivalent to say that R must be a congruence relation on (M,+)?

Yes.

A congruence relation on a universal algebra is defined to be an equivalence relation that is compatible in a similar sense to the above with each of its operations.

Specifically if [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is a universal algebra with a system of operations [itex]\Omega[/itex], then an equivalence relation [itex]E[/itex] on [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is a congruence iff
[tex]{(\forall\omega\in\Omega)(\forall a_i,a_i'\in\mathcal{A})a_iEa_i'\Rightarrow a_{i_1}a_{i_2}...a_{i_n}\omega E a_{i_1}'a_{i_2}'...a_{i_n}'\omega\text{ where }\omega\text{ is an }n\text{-ary operation.}}[/tex]
For nullary operations this necessarily follows from the reflexivity of [itex]E[/itex].

A monoid has a binary operation (+) and a nullary operation (1). From the final remark in the preceding paragraph an equivalence relation that is compatible with + is a congruence.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation!
Now everything is clear.

1. What is the definition of 'compatible' operation?

A compatible operation is one that can be performed in conjunction with another operation without causing any conflicts or errors. In other words, it is a operation that can work together with other operations without any issues.

2. What are some examples of compatible operations?

Examples of compatible operations include adding and subtracting, multiplying and dividing, or merging and sorting data. These operations can be performed together without any issues or contradictions.

3. How do you determine if two operations are compatible?

To determine if two operations are compatible, you need to consider the properties and requirements of each operation. If the properties and requirements are not contradictory or conflicting, then the operations are considered compatible.

4. What are the benefits of using compatible operations?

Using compatible operations can make tasks more efficient and reduce the chance of errors or conflicts. It also allows for more flexibility in performing tasks and makes it easier to combine different operations.

5. Can incompatible operations ever be used together?

In some cases, incompatible operations can be used together if certain conditions or adjustments are made. However, it is generally not recommended as it can lead to errors or unexpected results.