Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of Compound Statement

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    Hello,

In my Real Analysis textbook (Schramm) they say that an example of compound statement would be "Either 1+1=2 or a pencil is a useful tool in neurosurgery." I was wondering why this isn't a non-statement since I don't see where the truth value of it would be. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is ultimately an "or" statement and its truth value depends on the truth value of both " Either 1+1=2" and " a pencil is a useful tool in neurosurgery" . If seen as a wff in sentence logic , it can be transcribed as " A or B" , then compound (using A,B) similar in Predicate Logic ( more precisely, FOL).

4. Jan 16, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The idea here, with either ... or, is that exactly one of the two statements must be true for the compound statement to be true. In this case 1 + 1 = 2 is a true statement, but (presumably) "a pencil is a useful tool in neurosurgery" is false. Hence the compound statement is true.

This problem may have come from an analysis book, but it really falls under General Math, so I moved this thread.

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Two sentences combined with the conjunction OR

6. Jan 16, 2016 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't see the truth value? "1+ 1= 2" is true and "a pencil is a useful tool in neurosurgery" is false so the truth value of this statement I "true".
    ("A or B" is false only when A and B are both false. In all other cases its true.)

7. Jan 16, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's what I said in post #3...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook