How to give a proof of tautologies?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Henry R
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: I just wasn't seeing it when I wasn't online.In summary, the three images in post #1 are visible when the poster is online.
Henry R
Okay. Hello =) =) I am confuse regarding to this matter.

Now, I'm going to write about tautologies.

A proposition p is always true is called a tautology. A proposition p that is always false is called a contradiction.

Example :
p v p is an example of tautology
P ^ P is an example of contradiction

Suppose that the compound proposition p is made up of
propositions p 1 ... p n and compound proposition q is made up of propositions q 1 ... q n , we say that p and q are logically equivalent and write it as p ≡ q
provided that given any truth values of p 1 ... p n and truth values of q 1 ... q n , either p and q are both true or p and q are both false.

View attachment 3461
_
View attachment 3459

Here's the question : Which of the following are tautologies? If the statement is a tautology, give a proof using the appropriate rules of logic. (Avoid using truth tables if possible.) If it is not a tautology, then justify your answer by giving an appropriate example for the following questions below :

View attachment 3460

Thank you so much for reading my thread. =)

Attachments

• Table.PNG
    Table.PNG
    1.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Tautologies.PNG
    Tautologies.PNG
    3.7 KB · Views: 72
  • entah.PNG
    entah.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 69
Physics news on Phys.org
Henry R said:
p v p is an example of tautology
P ^ P is an example of contradiction
These must mean $p\lor\bar{p}$ and $p\land\bar{p}$.

Henry R said:
Here's the question : Which of the following are tautologies?
Have you figured this out using truth tables or common sense? For the first formula, is it true that $p$ always implies $p$ or $q$? For the second one, suppose that if you are free, then you go to the movies, and if you are busy, you also go to the movies. If it is known that you are either free, busy or went to the movies, does it follow that you are watching a movie?

Henry R said:
If the statement is a tautology, give a proof using the appropriate rules of logic.
The set of appropriate rules of logic differs from one textbook or course to the next. It would be nice if you listed them.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
These must mean $p\lor\bar{p}$ and $p\land\bar{p}$.

Have you figured this out using truth tables or common sense? For the first formula, is it true that $p$ always implies $p$ or $q$? For the second one, suppose that if you are free, then you go to the movies, and if you are busy, you also go to the movies. If it is known that you are either free, busy or went to the movies, does it follow that you are watching a movie?

The set of appropriate rules of logic differs from one textbook or course to the next. It would be nice if you listed them.

Um just wondering? Can you see the pictures?? the png pictures? It just I can't see it. But, by the way thank you so much.

Henry R said:
Um just wondering? Can you see the pictures?? the png pictures?
Do you mean the three images in post #1? Yes, I see them.

Henry R said:
It just I can't see it.
That's strange. Maybe you can start a thread about in the http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-comments-feedback-25/ subforum. You could post a screenshot there of how you see post #1.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Do you mean the three images in post #1? Yes, I see them.

That's strange. Maybe you can start a thread about in the http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-comments-feedback-25/ subforum. You could post a screenshot there of how you see post #1.

Oh ya, now I can see it if I'm online.

1. What is a tautology?

A tautology is a logical statement or formula that is always true, regardless of the truth values of its components.

2. How do you prove a tautology?

To prove a tautology, you need to use the rules of logic to show that the statement is true in all possible scenarios. This can be done through logical equivalences and truth tables.

3. What are some common techniques for proving tautologies?

Some common techniques for proving tautologies include using logical equivalences, applying the laws of logic (such as the law of excluded middle and the law of non-contradiction), and using proof by contradiction.

4. Can tautologies be proven using mathematical induction?

Yes, tautologies can be proven using mathematical induction. This is a technique that involves proving that a statement holds true for a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for one case, it must also be true for the next case.

5. Are there any tips for giving a clear and concise proof of a tautology?

Some tips for giving a clear and concise proof of a tautology include breaking the proof down into smaller steps, clearly stating the assumptions and reasoning used, and using diagrams or examples to illustrate the logical steps.