Definition of Differentiablility/Continuity f:R^2->R

• Thread starter clearweave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the function f:R^2-->R is defined as f(0,0)=0 and f(x,y)=x^3/(x^2+y^2). The partial derivatives at x and y exist at 0 and are equal to 1 and 0, respectively. However, f is not differentiable at (0,0) since the existence of partial derivatives does not imply complete differentiability. Additionally, f is not continuous at (0,0) as the limit lim (x1,x2)-->(0,0) of f(x1,x2)=0/0 is undefined. To prove continuity, the inequalities |x|\leq \sqrt{x^2+y^2},~\
clearweave
Definition of Differentiablility/Continuity f:R^2-->R

Good afternoon,

On a test I was given the question:
Define f:R^2-->R by f(0,0)=0 and f(x,y)=x^3/(x^2+y^2)
(1) Do the partial derivatives at x and y exist at 0? Which I answered yes to, and showed that they equal 1 and 0, respectively.
(2) Is f differentiable at 0? Justify your answer.
(3) Is f continuous at 0? Justify your answer.

For part (2) I had trouble getting anywhere by the definition of a derivative with lim (h1,h2)-->(0,0) of [f((0,0)+(h1,h2))-f(0,0)]/norm(h1,h2), so I continued to (3) the continuity problem and since lim (x1,x2)-->(0,0) of f(x1,x2)=0/0 and is thus undefined, I stated that the definition of continuity lim (x1,x2)-->(a1,a2) of f(x1,x2) = f(a1,a2) thus cannot hold, so f is not continuous at (0,0). Since differentiability implies continuity, I used the contrapositive argument for (2) referencing (3), and I did not receive any credit for problems (2) and (3).

I considered the L1 norm, the Euclidean norm, and the sup norm for (2) to no avail, so I figured that it was possible the function is not differentiable at (0,0) since existence of partial derivatives does not imply complete differentiability... But apparently that was not the case here. Could anyone please help me solve (2) and (3) successfully? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

For (3), you calculated the limit to be 0/0, this is correct, but it is not enough. when you get 0/0 (or any other indeterminate form), then the limit might still exist, but you'll need to find another method to solve the limit.

To prove continuity, we often use the following inequalities:

[tex]|x|\leq \sqrt{x^2+y^2},~\frac{x}{x+1}<1,~\frac{x^2}{x^2+y^2}<1[/tex].

Now, we need to find an delta such that

[tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}<\delta~\Rightarrow~\left|\frac{x^3}{x^2+y^2}\right|<\epsilon[/tex]

We make the following estimation

[tex]\left|\frac{x^3}{x^2+y^2}\right|\leq |x|\left|\frac{x^2}{x^2+y^2}\right|\leq |x|\leq \sqrt{x^2+y^2}<\delta[/tex]

So choose delta=epsilon, and the definition is satisfied. Thus the function is continuous.

For differentiability, we need to check the definition, that is, we must find a linear function u such that

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{\frac{f(h)-f(0)-u(h)}{\|h\|}}[/tex]

From your theory, you should know that there is only one possible choice for u(x,y), namely

[tex]u(x,y)=x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(0)+y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(0)[/tex]=x[/tex]

So, we need to check whether the limit

[tex]\lim_{(h_1,h_2)\rightarrow (0,0)}\frac{f(h_1,h_2)-f(0,0)-(h_1,h_2)}{\sqrt{h_1+h_2}}=\lim_{(h_1,h_2)\rightarrow (0,0)}\frac{h_2^3}{\sqrt{(h_1+h_2)^3}}[/tex]

However, you can check that this is not the case. Thus the function is not differentiable...

1. What is the definition of differentiability?

The definition of differentiability for a function f:R^2->R is that it exists at a point (a,b) if the limit as h approaches 0 of [f(a+h,b) - f(a,b)]/[h] exists and is finite. This means that the function has a well-defined slope at that point and is smooth without any sharp turns.

2. How is differentiability related to continuity?

Differentiability is a stronger condition than continuity. A function is differentiable at a point if it is continuous at that point and also has a well-defined slope. However, a function can be continuous at a point without being differentiable there.

3. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous there?

No, a function must be continuous at a point in order for it to be differentiable there. This is because the limit in the definition of differentiability only exists if the function is continuous at that point.

4. What does the derivative of a differentiable function represent?

The derivative of a differentiable function at a point represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at that point.

5. How can we determine if a function is differentiable on its entire domain?

A function is differentiable on its entire domain if it is differentiable at every point in its domain. This can be determined by taking the partial derivatives with respect to each variable and checking if they exist and are continuous throughout the domain.