Volume of a Cube: Definition & Explanation

In summary, the volume of a cube is the measure of how much space is enclosed within its boundaries. It is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cube. The formula for finding the volume of a cube is V = l x w x h, where V represents volume, l represents length, w represents width, and h represents height. This measurement is important in various fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering, as it helps in determining the capacity and capacity of objects. Understanding the concept of volume is crucial for solving problems involving three-dimensional shapes and objects.
McFluffy
Suppose if we have a cube:
xcubevolume.gif.pagespeed.ic.MJ_UzbP459.png

The volume of the cube is the product of the length, width and the height. All this time, I've been looking at it as: To get the volume, multiply the area of the cross section of the cube by how many "layers" it has. To elaborate with the diagram given, one can see that the above image is a cube. But how I see it is that, if you have a square of length ##a## and stack ##a## amount of "layers" above/beside/behind/whatever direction such that it is perpendicular the square, you'll form a cube. My question is that, is this a wrong way to look at volumes in general? If it is, why is it wrong and what is the correct definition? I searched the internet but I can't find any satisfying answer. I see definitions that state that volume is defined as how much space can a closed surface contain but that's just a bit vague for me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
Volume is basically the amount of space enclosed by a closed surface. Mathematically, I would say that it is best defined by a triple integral:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume#Volume_in_calculus

Then is the way I looked at volume the wrong way?

McFluffy said:
Then is the way I looked at volume the wrong way?
No, it is basically a good visualization of the integration process. You can see the volume arising from summing a stack of surfaces. (you have to make each surface infinitely thin and sum and infinite number of them).

And you don't necessarily need to stack identical squares: you could start from one corner of the cube and add progressively bigger surfaces then progressively smaller surfaces as you move to the opposite corner.

Likes McFluffy
Thank you for the answer. I was having doubts about how I defined volume and feared that this interpretation of stacking layers upon layers of the surfaces would break down once you start introducing 3d shapes that doesn't work well with it.

You can think of volume all those ways. You can stack them upward, sideways, forward, backward, in a circle, any way you want. You can divide a weird-shaped solid into tiny cubes, stack up each tiny cube, then add them up. All those ways should give you the same answer. Just make sure that you are dividing the entire shape into disjoint parts that are added up.

Likes McFluffy
You might imagine this in this way:
Length is the total space occupied one dimensionally.
Area is the total space occupied two dimensionally.
Volume is the total space occupied three dimensionally.

Is this comprehensible? If not, feel free to ask further questions.

Hi, there are a lot of definitions and intuitive way to think it, for example you can think the volume in a "dynamic'' way as the result of a movement of a surface (2D dimensional) along a direction (1D dimensional). This is the Newton point of view, moving a point you have a line, moving a line a surface, and so on ...
Ssnow

Likes Leo Authersh and McFluffy

What is the definition of volume of a cube?

The volume of a cube is the amount of space occupied by a cube in three-dimensional space. It is measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters (m³) or cubic inches (in³).

How is the volume of a cube calculated?

The volume of a cube is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cube. The formula for volume is V = l x w x h, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

What are the units used to measure volume of a cube?

The volume of a cube is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters (m³) or cubic centimeters (cm³). In some cases, it may also be measured in other units, such as cubic feet (ft³) or gallons (gal).

What is the relationship between the volume of a cube and its dimensions?

The volume of a cube is directly proportional to its dimensions. This means that if the length, width, or height of a cube is doubled, the volume will also double. Similarly, if the dimensions are halved, the volume will be halved.

How is the volume of a cube used in real life applications?

The concept of volume of a cube is used in various real life applications, such as architecture, engineering, and packaging. It is also used in everyday tasks, such as measuring the capacity of a container or calculating the amount of material needed for a construction project.