Deflection of a scaled down aircraft wing

In summary, the theoretical maximum deflection of the scaled down wing is 56455.283m. However, due to the smaller size and lower speed of the scaled down model, the mass needed to achieve this deflection is 5.04x10^-4kg.
SJ1234

Homework Statement

As a project, I have had to design and build a scaled down version of a glider wing. The actual glider wing would be made of aluminium and have a length of 7.5m and have a uniformly distributed load of 30kg/m^2, the scaled down version is 0.9m and made of balsa wood. I want to work out the theoretical maximum deflection of my scaled down wing and then test it to compare results.
For balsa wood E=16GPa, for aluminium E= 69GPa.
second moment of inertia for the scaled wing is 5.72×10-10m^4

Homework Equations

dmax=(UDLxL^4)/(8EI)

The Attempt at a Solution

dmax=(UDLx0.9^4)/(8x16x5.72×10-10)

dmax=(30x7.5^4)/(8x69xI)

How do I scale down the UDL?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SJ1234 said:

Homework Statement

As a project, I have had to design and build a scaled down version of a glider wing. The actual glider wing would be made of aluminium and have a length of 7.5m and have a uniformly distributed load of 30kg/m^2, the scaled down version is 0.9m and made of balsa wood. I want to work out the theoretical maximum deflection of my scaled down wing and then test it to compare results.
For balsa wood E=16GPa, for aluminium E= 69GPa.
second moment of inertia for the scaled wing is 0.572m^4

Homework Equations

dmax=(UDLxL^4)/(8EI)

The Attempt at a Solution

dmax=(UDLx0.9^4)/(8x16x0.572)

dmax=(30x7.5^4)/(8x69xI)

How do I scale down the UDL?
You might want to double check the second moment of area for the scaled-down wing. 0.572 m4 is pretty large. That's the second moment of area of a solid square cross section which measures 1.62 m on a side. Make sure that you haven't omitted a ×10-something

Changed, thanks

It would help if you can the "polars" of both wings noting the difference in Reynolds number in both cases. XFOIL is a program that can calculate polars if you can't find existing data. The scaled down version will have a smaller wing chord and travel at slower speed, so the Reynolds number will be less. The speed will be related to the wing loading more than the scale factor. If the scale ratio is 1/r, then to get the speed to scale down by 1/r, the mass of the smaller model would need to be (1/r)4 of the full size glider. More on this at this web site;

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/design/ibtherkelsen_scalespeed.htm

The scaled down wing has a length 8.3 time smaller than the original, so the UDL of 30kg/m^2 would become 30/8.3^4 6.3x10^-3kg/m^2
giving: dmax=(6.3x10^-3x0.9^4)/(8x16x5.72x10^-10) = 56455.283m. (Obviously too big)
The area of the scaled down wing is 0.08m^2, therefore the mass I need to apply in experiment is: (0.08)(6.3x10^-3)=5.04x10^-4kg
(This seems a lot too small)

What is the purpose of studying deflection of a scaled down aircraft wing?

The study of deflection of a scaled down aircraft wing is important in understanding the behavior and structural integrity of full-scale aircraft wings. It allows engineers to predict and analyze the effects of aerodynamic forces on the wing, which is crucial for designing safe and efficient aircraft.

What factors affect the deflection of a scaled down aircraft wing?

The deflection of a scaled down aircraft wing is affected by various factors such as the material properties of the wing, the shape and thickness of the wing, the applied load, and the geometry of the wing. Other factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also have an impact on the deflection.

How is the deflection of a scaled down aircraft wing measured?

The deflection of a scaled down aircraft wing can be measured using strain gauges, which are small sensors that detect changes in the strain or deformation of the wing. These strain gauges are typically attached to the surface of the wing and connected to a data acquisition system, which records the measurements.

What are the potential consequences of excessive deflection in an aircraft wing?

Excessive deflection in an aircraft wing can compromise the structural integrity of the wing and lead to catastrophic failures. It can also affect the stability and performance of the aircraft, making it difficult to control and potentially causing dangerous situations for the pilot and passengers.

How do engineers account for deflection when designing an aircraft wing?

Engineers use mathematical models and computer simulations to predict the deflection of an aircraft wing under different loading conditions. They also conduct physical tests on scaled down models to validate the results. Based on this data, they can make design modifications to ensure that the wing can withstand the expected deflection without compromising safety or performance.