Degenerate Perturbation Theory

In summary: When we use degenerate pertubation theory, it is because there is some subspace of states that are degenerate with respect to H0. We then take linear combinations of these states that diagonalize H' *within that subspace*--that is, the matrix elements of H' between these linear combinations should be zero. But the matrix element of H' between one of these linear combinations and some other state that isn't in the degenerate subspace will in general be nonzero. Thus in general these linear combinations we have taken will *not* be eigenstates of H'. We haven't diagonalized H', we've only diagonalized it within the degenerate subspace.
Niles
Hi

I am reading about Degenerate Perburbation Theory, and I have come across a question. We all know that the good quantum numbers in DPT are basically the eigenstates of the conserved quantity under the perburbation. As Griffiths he says in his book: "... look around for some hermitian operator A that communtes with H0 and H'". Now say I form a linear combination ψ of my (unperturbed) degenerate states. It satisfies

H0ψ = E0ψ.

Assuming it is the "correct" linear combination in the sense that it diagonalizes my perturbation H', I can write

(H0+H')ψ = Eψ,

where E = E0+ΔE. But this is my question: If the relation (H0+H')ψ = Eψ holds, then what about any first order correction to the wavefunction due to the perturbation? An example of this is the Helium-atom. Here we find that the good linear combinations are symmetric and anti-symmetric, but they are only correct to zeroth order, right?Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be missing your point here, but: If we could really find simultaneous eigenstates of H0 and H' we wouldn't need to use perturbation theory, because these states would be the eigenstates of the full Hamiltonian, which are what we are trying to find.

When we use degenerate pertubation theory, it is because there is some subspace of states that are degenerate with respect to H0. We then take linear combinations of these states that diagonalize H' *within that subspace*--that is, the matrix elements of H' between these linear combinations should be zero. But the matrix element of H' between one of these linear combinations and some other state that isn't in the degenerate subspace will in general be nonzero. Thus in general these linear combinations we have taken will *not* be eigenstates of H'. We haven't diagonalized H', we've only diagonalized it within the degenerate subspace.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me. So these linear combination are still only zero-order solutions to the perturbation?

Yes; to get the first-order perturbed eigenstates you still have to do the regular perturbation theory calculation, just now you do it with your carefully chosen basis of H0 eigenstates.

The_Duck said:
Yes; to get the first-order perturbed eigenstates you still have to do the regular perturbation theory calculation, just now you do it with your carefully chosen basis of H0 eigenstates.

Thanks for that! OK, so in the case of e.g. the exicted states of Helium where we find the antisymmetric and symmetric linear combinations, then they are still only correct to zero order. But how does this justify that we just tack on a symmetric/antisymmetric spin wavefunction to these? I mean, if they are only correct to zeroth order, it must be very imprecise.

1. What is degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory is a method used in quantum mechanics to solve for the energy levels and wave functions of a system that has degeneracy, meaning multiple states have the same energy. This is often encountered in systems with symmetries or degenerate eigenvalues.

2. How does degenerate perturbation theory differ from regular perturbation theory?

In regular perturbation theory, the system is assumed to have non-degenerate energy levels, meaning each state has a unique energy. In degenerate perturbation theory, the system has degeneracy, and therefore, the perturbation approach must be modified to account for this.

3. What is the first-order correction in degenerate perturbation theory?

The first-order correction in degenerate perturbation theory is the correction to the energy levels and wave functions of the system due to the perturbation. It is obtained by applying the first-order perturbation theory equations to a degenerate state and then calculating the average of the resulting energies.

4. How is the second-order correction calculated in degenerate perturbation theory?

The second-order correction in degenerate perturbation theory is obtained by considering the perturbation acting on the first-order corrected wave functions. This leads to a set of coupled equations that can be solved to obtain the second-order correction to the energy levels and wave functions.

5. What are some applications of degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory is widely used in quantum mechanics to study various systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid state materials. It is also used in fields such as quantum chemistry, nuclear physics, and condensed matter physics to understand the behavior of complex systems with degeneracy.