1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree needed when applying for postgrad?

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    Hello,
    I study physics in Greece and I want to apply for postgrad studies in the US.Most universities' deadline for applying is 1/1,but I won't have my degree by then,I will still be 2 or 3 classes away(not "important" ones though).And I will definitely have passed them by February-March.
    Can I still apply?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You do not need to have completed your degree to apply for graduate work. Most offers of admission are based on work you have completed up until the point of application and are conditional on you successfully convocating by a certain date (usually within a few months of starting the graduate program).

4. Aug 31, 2008 #3
    Thank you Choppy!

5. Sep 1, 2008 #4
    Why the US in particular? I've met many Greek students in the UK, and they seem to have a good time. May be easier to get entrance & grants because of EU membership. Cheap flights to get home for Easter :-)

I know someone who did both, an MSc in the UK and then further postgrad work in the US.

6. Sep 2, 2008 #5
    Well,one of the most important reasons is that the professor I am working under has 'strong ties' with America.My work with him along with a good letter of recommendation should help me a lot getting accepted in a good university,possibly with an assistantship.
    Grants definitely matter a lot,but from what I've heard it is easier to get them in America.That was another reason for choosing the US actually.
    You are the first to tell me that they might be easier to get in the UK..Oh well,I'll look more into it.In the meantime,any input on the subject of grants (UK vs US) would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?