1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Should I do a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics?

1. Sep 14, 2017 #1
    Hi, I've applied to study the Bachelor of Science Advanced–Research(Honours) course at Monash University and I intended on majoring in Astrophysics, but after doing some research I'm feeling really uneasy about it since it doesn't seem like there are a lot of jobs available for people doing Physics degrees, even if they progress to a PhD. Astrophysics really interests me, but I'd rather not spend years studying it only to end up in a job that has nothing to do with it because there aren't sufficient research jobs. Since the university offers double degrees in science and engineering would that be a better choice (note: the double degree take 5 years)? Also would it allow me to choose either path (engineering or astrophysics) for postgrad studies?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2017 #2
    University education is quite expensive in Australia, right? You should probably figure out if that's an issue for you or not, before you decide on your work load.
    Physics degrees do tend to pay off, though, and it isn't really important what you specialized in. You probably get a good grasp on math, programming and scientific analysis. But yes, many physicists ultimately leave science for better job prospects elsewhere. Though afaik the same is true for Aerospace engineering because they just have so many students. Literally everyone is doing that. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted