1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree of freedom of a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find out the degrees of freedom of a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane.

2. Relevant equations
    DoF=Nn-k
    N=no. of dimensions. n=no. of particles.k= no. of constraints.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am considering the block of wood as a rigid body made of n no. of particles.
    But it will move with respect to a center of mass.
    I will need 3 points on the body to define the CM.
    As the body is constrained to move on a plane each of these 3 points can be denoted with 2 coordinate points.
    Each of these 3 points has fixed distance from each other so there will be 3 constraints if these points are non collinear.
    So i think the answer should be 3×2-3=3.
    Are my deductions correct??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you have 2 dimensions. One particle with no constraints would have two degrees of freedom ? Not 4 (x, y, vx, vy) ?

I also don't quite follow how you need 3 points to define the CM. Wouldn't e.g. two corners be enough ? Could you explain ? (It may be correct, I just wonder)

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    Please BvU clarify one thing, should i consider the block of wood a rigid 3d body or a point particle??

5. Oct 21, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a block of wood. To me that sounds closer to a rigid body than to a point particle.
    You said you need three points to pinpoint the block. Why three ?

What is the basis for your relevant equation ? Does a particle on a plane with no further constraints have 2 degrees of freedom in your book ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted