Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree of the Zero polynomial

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    I understand that mathematicians have had to define the number '0' also as a polynomial because it acts as the additive identity for the additive group of poly's.What I do not understand is why they define the degree of the zero polynomial as [ tex ]-\infty[ /tex ].

An explanation on planetMath wasn't that helpful,at the end they point-out to refer to the extended real numbers(don't they mean 'projectively extended real numbers??)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Well, I guess it's similar to how one sometimes regards zero as both a real and an imaginary number because you can write 0 = 0 + i0. Similarly, you can write

0 = 0 + 0x + 0x2 + 0x3 + ...

i.e., you can write '0' as an infinite degree polynomial with all coefficients zero.

(There may be a more rigorous reason, but that's an intuitive one).

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3
    Thanks!Could you explain what extended real numbers have got to do with this?
    But,polynomials always have non-negative degrees.
    deg[P(x)]=+n
    Why would mathematicians define a polynomial with a negative degree?

5. Jul 20, 2012 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

Huh, I'm looking at a precalculus textbook (Larson, 8th Ed.), and it states that the zero polynomial has no degree. Is that wrong? (Note that no degree ≠ zero degree -- a polynomial that consists of a single non-zero number has a degree of zero.)

6. Jul 20, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The choice is pretty arbitrary. Sometimes it defined as having no degree, sometimes it's -1, sometimes it's [itex]-\infty[/itex].

A handy formula for polynomials is

[tex]deg(P)+deg(Q)=deg(PQ)[/tex]

If we want this formula to hold for the zero polynomial, then we see (by taking Q=0) that

[tex]deg(P)+deg(0)=deg(0)[/tex]

must hold for all P. This is only satisfied with [itex]deg(0)=-\infty[/itex]. This is the reason why they defined it this way. But again, it's pretty arbitrary.

7. Jul 20, 2012 #6

eumyang

Homework Helper

I see now. Thank you.

8. Jul 20, 2012 #7
    Awesome!Thanks a ton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook