Drawing diagrams in physics is so difficult for me!

psyche A
TL;DR Summary: I have a hard time doing well in physics questions from my undergraduate course. The reason for this is because I don't understand how to draw the motions of the objects in diagrams. Basically, I'm terrible at diagram making and visualisation of events that occur within a physics questions. Some guides on how to draw diagrams in different topic parts of physics would be amazing help! Thank you, everyone!

Hello everyone,

So I started off my third year of studying BSc Mathematics and Physics with Open University in October, 2023.

It's been quite difficult but I'm getting used to it. I don't mind the simple part of it which is mainly using formulations. Though, I'll admit, that too requires work. The straightforward part of the revision is also possible with regular reading of the notes. Still, any guidance on how to better remember the notes on different topics and revise physics would be much appreciated.

The focus of this thread is the huge problem I have when doing physics calculations and questions that require me to visualise the physics happening in particular questions. I tend to have trouble with reasoning out the steps of a physics problem too. However, I thought that the main issue was not knowing the correct diagram drawing skills in different topic parts of physics.

This includes:

1. Ordinary tension and other mechanics diagrams such as using weight, or pulleys.
2. Electric field lines diagram drawing.

Today, I noticed that these diagrams tend to become important in scenarios involving modelling so I realised that I needed to get the hang of how to draw them properly. Hence, the focus of this thread is for me to ask you guys to please help me out with some good resources for diagram drawing skills throughout a lot of topics in physics.

One last thing I should mention is that I tend to have trouble with signs while visualising different problems. For example, where an object is directing itself towards within a motion that occurs. This can be explained with a simple example of projectile motion of a ball or even the way that an object is going against or with gravity.

On a last note, if anyone has any other advice please feel free to help out. I would also love to hear from other people on here who have done BSc Mathematics and Physics with the Open University, UK before or currently.

Thank you all so much for your time.

Sanaa

Physics news on Phys.org
I am curious where you are having trouble with drawing. Not sure we can advise you well without a visual aid. Can you upload a pic of some examples you've drawn?

Likes psyche A, gleem and symbolipoint
Practice helps. Not sure there is a good substitute.

I also find students draw diagrams that are too small. You paid for the paper - use it!

Likes psyche A, berkeman, gmax137 and 1 other person
Is the difficulty in just drawing, or is the difficulty in drawing physics diagrams?

If you can draw a straight segment; a point or more; a curve of approximate shape; a circle; segments forming a triangle, and using mostly pencil on paper without any other piece of equipment, then you can draw physics diagrams.

Just a guess - you have a little trouble understanding exactly what you read; and maybe to read the passages more than once is needed; and so, draw carefully as you re-read a description.

Likes DeBangis21 and psyche A
Welcome, @psyche A !

Could you show us one or two of those difficult diagrams that you have tried?

Likes psyche A
One thing about free body diagrams that I have noticed is that a lot of students make them too detailed. If the free body is a car you don’t need to draw wheels and the cabin. A simple rectangle is sufficient. Likewise if the free body is a person you don’t need arms and legs. A simple rectangle is sufficient. Aim for simplicity and clarity over style.

If it doesn’t correspond to some variable in your equations then it probably doesn’t belong on the diagram. And vice versa, if there is a variable in the equation it should probably be on the diagram.

Likes DeBangis21, psyche A, berkeman and 1 other person
@psyche A If you provide a diagram include the statement of the problem. Then write what you are thinking as you draw the diagram.

Likes psyche A and DaveC426913
Dale said:
If it doesn’t correspond to some variable in your equations then it probably doesn’t belong on the diagram.
So, what you're saying is ... chickens can be defined only by a radius, and air pressure can be set to zero. :woot:

• Haha
Likes psyche A, Dale and berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
I am curious where you are having trouble with drawing. Not sure we can advise you well without a visual aid. Can you upload a pic of some examples you've drawn?
Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 06.46.54.png
Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 06.47.28.png

The first diagram above is on projectile motion and the one below it is on collisions.
I'm not sure if I can display the problem questions for each diagram because it's part of the Open University's content.

Likes Lnewqban
Usually a drawing starts out as just a sketch describing the given problem. The drawing isn't the solution but it aids the student in getting to the solution. It doesn't have to be a work of art or incredibly neat and tidy but it helps if you are mindful of the physics. In your after the collision drawing, what do you think you should change and why?

Likes vela
bob012345 said:
Usually a drawing starts out as just a sketch describing the given problem. The drawing isn't the solution but it aids the student in getting to the solution. It doesn't have to be a work of art or incredibly neat and tidy but it helps if you are mindful of the physics. In your after the collision drawing, what do you think you should change and why?
I think I didn't understand the physics well enough to get it right in the after the collision diagram. I think that the underlying issue about not drawing the diagrams properly is that I'm not understanding the physics properly or well enough. Hence why I asked if anyone has some suggestions for studying physics well.

I mention this because I thought about your question and I noticed that the after collision diagram should have included the two particles sticking together and going off or something else I haven't figured out yet.

I liked the part of your response where you mention The drawing isn't the solution but it aids the student in getting to the solution. this is a beautiful point you made, can you please elaborate more on this? I am not sure about how to create the structure of a physics drawing based on interpreting the physics question correctly. I think I just don't know how to handle questions in physics yet.

and about this: It doesn't have to be a work of art or incredibly neat and tidy but it helps if you are mindful of the physics. yes, it's exactly what I thought, I think I am not understanding the physics properly. My guess is that my learning strategy isn't ok yet.

Likes DeBangis21
psyche A said:
I think I didn't understand the physics well enough
One tip about projectile motion problems (if air resistance is negligible) -- the motion of the projectile is an inverted parabola. This is because the horizontal motion is at a constant velocity, and the vertical motion is due to the constant acceleration of gravity downward.

So any time you draw a sketch of a projectile motion problem like that, try to make the arc in the form of an inverted parabola and remember why it has that shape. That will help you to formulate the equations needed to solve for whatever is being asked of you in the problem (like finding that 2nd point in the diagram where the projectile lands above the height that it started at). :smile:

1704377286187.png

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-osuniversityphysics/chapter/4-3-projectile-motion/

Likes Lnewqban, DeBangis21 and psyche A
@psyche A It is standard procedure after reading the problem to state what you are trying to find or prove. Once you have done that you can start trying to find relationships between variables by asking questions such as how did the ball get to its final resting point. What are the factors that contribute to this distance?
Are these factors given? If not how do you determine them etc, etc, etc,?

Likes psyche A
psyche A said:
I liked the part of your response where you mention The drawing isn't the solution but it aids the student in getting to the solution. this is a beautiful point you made, can you please elaborate more on this? I am not sure about how to create the structure of a physics drawing based on interpreting the physics question correctly. I think I just don't know how to handle questions in physics yet.
I wonder if your are putting too much pressure on yourself regarding this. Usually I just jot down the given information and make a quick sketch as best I understand it. Then I apply what I know about the relevant physics. If it's a problem regarding forces, I draw all the forces on the object. If it's a problem involving motion or dynamics I write down the data given and sketch the situation like the image above you drew. The more you learn the better your sketches will be.

Likes psyche A