Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deletion option while editing a post

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1
    Sometime back I used to see a delete option while editing a post .Now I dont find that anymore .Is it no longer available or I am missing something .

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

There is a time limit after which you can no longer delete a post. I keep forgetting what it is, but I think it's about 10-12 hours.

4. Oct 9, 2013 #3
    Hi jtbell...

Just for testing purpose ,if I try to edit the OP in this thread ,which I posted just a few minutes back,I still dont see a delete option .

5. Oct 9, 2013 #4

berkeman

And please remember that if your starting post has received replies, you may not alter or delete your original post (OP).

6. Oct 9, 2013 #5
    You are right :smile:...When I click on edit button on post#3 ,I see a delete option . But when I tried to edit the OP ,just after posting ,even before jtbell replied ,I didnt find the delete option.

Another question I have -Is the delete option available only in posts where the thread is started by me ? I didnt find this option in posts where I responded to threads started by some other user .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. Oct 10, 2013 #6

Mark44

You can't delete posts by other members.

8. Oct 10, 2013 #7
    No...I didnt mean to delete posts by other members . I am only enquiring about deletion option in posts written by me.

My question is -Whether this option is available only in posts where the thread has been started by me ?

I dont see this option in posts written by me where threads are started by other members.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  9. Oct 10, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

You should be able to delete your posts in other threads (not started by you) as well, if I remember correctly - within that time limit, of course.

10. Oct 10, 2013 #9
    I'm pretty sure you can edit the OP even after it's gotten replies. I think I've probably done it a few times, like when a reply suggests something that I didn't take into account when writing the post.

11. Oct 10, 2013 #10

jtbell

You have the technical capability to edit your OP after it's gotten replies, We (the mentors) frown on it except to fix minor things like spelling and grammar. We especially frown on it when someone changes the meaning of a point that someone has responded to, thereby disrupting the logic of the discussion.

We also have a persistent problem with some people in the homework forums deleting the content of their OP after getting help, either to prevent classmates from benefiting from that help also, or because they're cheating on an exam.

12. Oct 10, 2013 #11
    What I usually do is put all caps EDIT and then add what I want to say. Is that fine?

13. Oct 11, 2013 #12

berkeman

If you add an EDIT comment without altering your original post, that is totally fine. I do it often myself (and haven't been banned yet) :smile:

14. Oct 11, 2013 #13
    Hello

Just a little while ago I have posted in this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=715800
    but do not get any delete option when I click on the edit button.I do not intend to delete any post .I am just curious and at the same time want to bring this in the notice of the admins ,in case it is a bug.

Interestingly ,I am getting a delete option when I click on the edit button of this post.

To be more precise,I am attaching snapshots of the two posts .

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  15. Oct 11, 2013 #14

mfb

2016 Award

What happens if you click "go advanced"?

Edit: That (see below) is probably the explanation.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  16. Oct 11, 2013 #15

Borek

Chances are you are not allowed to delete post that was already answered. But I am just guessing.

17. Oct 11, 2013 #16
    The delete option is not present ,even if i click "go advanced ". A snapshot is attached .

I can delete post#13 that has been answered :). Look at the second attachment.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      35.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      32.4 KB
      Views:
  18. Oct 11, 2013 #17
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook