Deletion option while editing a post

• Thread starter Tanya Sharma
  • Start date
In summary, there is a time limit of about 10-12 hours after which you can no longer delete a post. This option is available for posts started by you as well as posts started by other members. However, it is frowned upon by mentors to edit your original post after it has received replies, as it can disrupt the flow of the discussion. Adding an "EDIT" comment without altering the original post is allowed. When clicking "go advanced", the delete option may still not be available if the post has already been answered. Overall, the ability to delete posts is subject to certain limitations and restrictions.
Tanya Sharma
Sometime back I used to see a delete option while editing a post .Now I don't find that anymore .Is it no longer available or I am missing something .

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a time limit after which you can no longer delete a post. I keep forgetting what it is, but I think it's about 10-12 hours.

jtbell said:
There is a time limit after which you can no longer delete a post. I keep forgetting what it is, but I think it's about 10-12 hours.

Hi jtbell...

Just for testing purpose ,if I try to edit the OP in this thread ,which I posted just a few minutes back,I still don't see a delete option .

And please remember that if your starting post has received replies, you may not alter or delete your original post (OP).

berkeman said:
And please remember that if your starting post has received replies, you may not alter or delete your original post (OP).

You are right :smile:...When I click on edit button on post#3 ,I see a delete option . But when I tried to edit the OP ,just after posting ,even before jtbell replied ,I didnt find the delete option.

Another question I have -Is the delete option available only in posts where the thread is started by me ? I didnt find this option in posts where I responded to threads started by some other user .

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
You can't delete posts by other members.

No...I didnt mean to delete posts by other members . I am only enquiring about deletion option in posts written by me.

My question is -Whether this option is available only in posts where the thread has been started by me ?

I don't see this option in posts written by me where threads are started by other members.

Last edited:
You should be able to delete your posts in other threads (not started by you) as well, if I remember correctly - within that time limit, of course.

berkeman said:
I'm pretty sure you can edit the OP even after it's gotten replies. I think I've probably done it a few times, like when a reply suggests something that I didn't take into account when writing the post.

You have the technical capability to edit your OP after it's gotten replies, We (the mentors) frown on it except to fix minor things like spelling and grammar. We especially frown on it when someone changes the meaning of a point that someone has responded to, thereby disrupting the logic of the discussion.

We also have a persistent problem with some people in the homework forums deleting the content of their OP after getting help, either to prevent classmates from benefiting from that help also, or because they're cheating on an exam.

jtbell said:
You have the technical capability to edit your OP after it's gotten replies, We (the mentors) frown on it except to fix minor things like spelling and grammar. We especially frown on it when someone changes the meaning of a point that someone has responded to, thereby disrupting the logic of the discussion.
What I usually do is put all caps EDIT and then add what I want to say. Is that fine?

lugita15 said:
What I usually do is put all caps EDIT and then add what I want to say. Is that fine?

If you add an EDIT comment without altering your original post, that is totally fine. I do it often myself (and haven't been banned yet) :smile:

Hello

Just a little while ago I have posted in this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=715800
but do not get any delete option when I click on the edit button.I do not intend to delete any post .I am just curious and at the same time want to bring this in the notice of the admins ,in case it is a bug.

Interestingly ,I am getting a delete option when I click on the edit button of this post.

To be more precise,I am attaching snapshots of the two posts .

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 444
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
What happens if you click "go advanced"?

Edit: That (see below) is probably the explanation.

Last edited:
Chances are you are not allowed to delete post that was already answered. But I am just guessing.

mfb said:
What happens if you click "go advanced"?

The delete option is not present ,even if i click "go advanced ". A snapshot is attached .

Borek said:
Chances are you are not allowed to delete post that was already answered. But I am just guessing.

I can delete post#13 that has been answered :). Look at the second attachment.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 418
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 428

1. What is the Deletion option while editing a post?

The Deletion option while editing a post refers to the ability to permanently remove a post from a website or forum. This option is typically available to the original poster or users with moderator privileges.

2. How do I delete a post while editing it?

To delete a post while editing it, you will need to locate the deletion option, which is usually found in the editing tools or options menu. Click on this option and follow the prompts to permanently delete the post.

3. Can I undo a post deletion while editing?

In most cases, once a post has been deleted while editing, it cannot be undone. It is important to double check and confirm that you want to permanently delete the post before proceeding.

4. Are there any consequences for using the deletion option while editing?

Depending on the website or forum's policies, there may be consequences for using the deletion option while editing. For example, some forums may have a limit on the number of posts a user can delete per day or may require a reason for deleting a post.

5. Is the deletion option while editing available on all websites and forums?

No, the deletion option while editing may not be available on all websites and forums. It is up to the website or forum's administrators to enable this feature and set any restrictions or guidelines for its use.