Delta function potential problem

In summary: The infinite square well is like a wall for the particle because -dV(x)/dx is infinite at the boundary, right?So, the particle has an infinite force pushing it away, right?But isn't it minus infinity at the left boundary?I am so confused.The Attempt at a SolutionI just made a thread about this exact same topic in the Quantum Physics forum. Basically, a delta function is the limit of a peak with area one, in the limit that the width goes to zero. So instead of a delta function, let me consider for example V(x) = \pm e^{-x^2}, with the + or - sign depending on
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Why does it make sense that a negative delta function potential represents a highly localized attractive force and a positive delta function potential represents a highly localized repulsive force?

How do you explain that using

-dV/dx = f(x)

?

I guess I am confused about potentials.

The reason an infinite square is like a wall for the particle is that -dV(x)/dx is infinite at the boundary, right?

So, the particle has an infinite force pushing it away, right?

But isn't it minus infinity at the left boundary?

I am so confused.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haha! I just made a thread about this exact same topic in the Quantum Physics forum. I'll keep checking here and you should keep checking there too.

Basically, a delta function is the limit of a peak with area one, in the limit that the width goes to zero. So instead of a delta function, let me consider for example [itex]V(x) = \pm e^{-x^2}[/itex], with the + or - sign depending on if you want it do be attractive or repulsive of course.
Then
[tex]f(x) = - \frac{dV}{dx} = -(- 2 x) (\pm e^{-x^2}) = \pm 2 x e^{-x^2}.[/tex]
Now [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] is always positive. So if you are somewhere at x > 0, then the force will be in the direction of the origin if the sign is - (it will be negative) and away from it if the sign is +. Similar reasoning (or the symmetry of the problem) will give you the same for x < 0. The same argument holds for the delta function (to get the idea, you could take exp(-a x^2) instead and take a to infinity, though technically this will not give you the delta function, so don't be alarmed if you get infinities; they're not there for the real delta function).

Last edited:
I guess. My question is really about potentials in general. If I have a finite square well defined as

V(x) = { 0 when x < -a, -V_0 when abs(x) < a, 0 when x > a}

why does that represent an attractive potential? How do you explain the attraction using -dV(x)/dx = f(x) ?

The force is only nonzero at two places and it is infinite in both of those places, right?

First of all, it always helps me to think of the potential as a sort of surface on which a free particle will move. So if you drop a particle somewhere inside the well, it can roll freely between x = -a and x = a, but it cannot get outside (so it's actually like you're dropping a ball inside a square well).

So suppose the particle is at x with |x| < a. At the left boundary of the well, there is an infinite downward slope in the potential so if the particle hits it, a force will work to the right (negative slope + the minus sign = positive x-direction). If you want to be precise, the derivative is not infinity, but it is the derivative of a (negative) delta peak. I suppose you can consider it as if there is an instantaneous infinite force to the right, pushing the particle away from the wall. But if you want to know the mathematical details, perhaps someone with knowledge of distributions can better explain it to you.

I don't know if what I'm about to say is valid -- maybe it's just gibberish, but the work done by this force to move a particle from -a to 0 will be
[tex]\int_{-a}^0 -V'(x) \, dx = -V(0) + V(-a) = \delta(0)[/tex]
which is clearly not infinity, though it's hard to say what it is.

Last edited:
On a sheet of paper, draw a parabola opening upward. Think of this parabola as the surface upon which a ball rolls. It turns out that the shape of the parabola is the shape of the potential function. That is, as you climb the walls of the parabola, you increase gravitational potential energy. If you place the ball somewhere along the parabola, it will experience a gravitational force. Compare this force to the slope of the parabola at the point where the ball is and you will see qualitatively that when the slope is positive, the force is in the negative direction and vice versa.

By the way, since you are only concerned with the slope of the potential, the point of zero potential can be located at any point convenient to your calculations. Think of this example when you try to understand gauge invariance.

Thanks. I see.

Actually wait. If only changes in potential have physical significance why would the infinite square well have different solutions than the the delta potential barriers-on-both-sides well?

Is this what you were getting at, CompuChip, with the discussion about how the integral over the derivative of the delta function is not really infinite?

ehrenfest said:
Actually wait. If only changes in potential have physical significance why would the infinite square well have different solutions than the the delta potential barriers-on-both-sides well?
For one, because with two delta barriers there would be three allowed areas (x < -a, -a < x < a and x > a) while in a square well there is just one (-a < x < a).

1. What is a delta function potential problem?

A delta function potential problem is a type of quantum mechanics problem that involves a point-like potential, represented by the Dirac delta function. It is often used to model interactions between particles in a confined space, such as in a one-dimensional box.

2. How is the delta function potential represented mathematically?

The delta function potential is represented by the Dirac delta function, which is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinite. It is often denoted as δ(x-x0), where x0 is the location of the potential.

3. What are the properties of the delta function potential?

The delta function potential has several important properties, including being infinitely tall and narrow, being symmetric about the point of interaction, and having an area under the curve of 1. It is also a non-analytic function, meaning it is not differentiable at the point of interaction.

4. How is the delta function potential used in quantum mechanics?

The delta function potential is used in quantum mechanics to model interactions between particles in a confined space. It allows for the calculation of probabilities of particles being in a certain location and can also be used to determine the energy levels of a system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the delta function potential?

The delta function potential has many applications in physics, including in the study of solid-state physics, nuclear physics, and quantum mechanics. It has also been used to model interactions in quantum field theory, and has applications in engineering and materials science, such as in the design of quantum devices and materials.