• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Dependent theorem and bayes theorem.

  • Thread starter iTee
  • Start date
  • #1
6
0

Homework Statement



One box of eggs has 12 eggs. The probability of all eggs being good is 70%. The probability of one being bad is 20%. The probability of two being bad is 10%. Given that 2 randomly selected eggs are good, what is the probability that all the eggs will be good?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



According to bayes theorem,

P(all good | random 2 are good) = ( P(random 2 are good | all good) * P(all good) ) / P(random two are good)


Now, P(random 2 are good | all good) = P(random 2 are good <and> all good) / P(all good)

=> " P(random 2 are good <and> all good) " are dependent events. Can't seem to figure out how to get around this.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
10,706
1,728

Homework Statement



One box of eggs has 12 eggs. The probability of all eggs being good is 70%. The probability of one being bad is 20%. The probability of two being bad is 10%. Given that 2 randomly selected eggs are good, what is the probability that all the eggs will be good?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



According to bayes theorem,

P(all good | random 2 are good) = ( P(random 2 are good | all good) * P(all good) ) / P(random two are good)


Now, P(random 2 are good | all good) = P(random 2 are good <and> all good) / P(all good)

=> " P(random 2 are good <and> all good) " are dependent events. Can't seem to figure out how to get around this.
For b = 0,1,2, what are P(random 2 are good|12-b good and b bad)? So, what is P(random 2 are good)?

RGV
 
  • #3
150
0
I am currently working on a very very similar question on my own. But, the problem I have is finding the P(Random 2 are good).

Needed Information
P(all are good) = 0.7
P(Random 2 are good | all are good) = 1 (since given all are good, any random ones will be guranteed to be good)
P(Random 2 are good) This is where I struggle, how to find this?
 
  • #4
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
10,706
1,728
I am currently working on a very very similar question on my own. But, the problem I have is finding the P(Random 2 are good).

Needed Information
P(all are good) = 0.7
P(Random 2 are good | all are good) = 1 (since given all are good, any random ones will be guranteed to be good)
P(Random 2 are good) This is where I struggle, how to find this?
Read the question immediately above this one. Have you done the two other computations? Until you do that, you will be unable to get anywhere. I will just give one more hint: what is P(both good|1 bad, 19 good in carton)? Well, you are GIVEN that the carton has 19 good eggs in it, and one bad egg. You draw 2 eggs at random, and want the probability that both are good. Surely you must have seen or done such problems before, but if not: (i) what is the probability the first drawn egg is good? (ii) given that the first egg is good, we now are left with 19 eggs (18 good, one bad), so now what is the probability of drawing another good egg?

RGV
 

Related Threads on Dependent theorem and bayes theorem.

  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
896
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
945
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
2K
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
541
Replies
5
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
3K
Top