Depression and Studying. NEED ADVICE AND HELP

In summary: I don't know.In summary, this person failed their math and physics courses, and their anti-depressants stopped working. They attribute their failures to not studying physics effectively, and recommend working problems from textbooks.
defiledx
Hello, this is my first time posting.

I'm seeking some advice and would like to hear from other people who are in the same boat. I'll try and keep this post as brief as possible and stick to the main points, so sorry in advance if I get carried away.

So basically this is my story...

I'm currently an University Student in Australia, it's very highly regarded for research and it's highest rated course is Civil Engineering, which I'm currently studying.

I never had much success through high school. The reason being is I've grown up in an environment where my mother has bipolar, and if anyone with the disorder or lives with someone who has the illness can highly relate and know it's very difficult to deal with.

By having undergoing pressure from my mother, I decided to leave high school in year 10. But this decision was enforced by the fact that my science teacher always put me down for being excited for science, and my maths teacher said I would never pass maths and should just repeat... Gotta love high school.

Anyways, last year I managed to do a foundation course focusing on Maths and Physics. The maths was equivalent to a year 12 level and likewise with physics. I managed to get 71% in the physics course and managed to scrape a pass in the maths course.

I was very pleased with myself, because I never had studied physics in my life or that level of maths. I would say I would have had only the knowledge of a year 9 student when I went to do that maths, and I managed to pass it.

However, last year also made me realize that I had depression and it was really bad. I convinced myself that I was normal years a go and that my thoughts and feelings were what everyone had. I learned that it wasn't and was very difficult accepting it.

Last year I tried committing suicide twice, and I know it wasn't the wisest decision but I did it in a state where all rational thought did not exist.

Now, this battle and being on anti-depressants has put me in such a self finding journey, I'm realizing and becoming aware of the mistakes I do and I'm working on hard to fix them.

I've been having trouble however in my studies, and would like to know or find advice on how to better equip myself to get over it.

I've failed my maths course and physics course, along with a surveying course.

The reason being is my anti-depressants had stopped working, and I noticed this a lot. I started to not care about my life, the person I was and my surroundings were just passing by. This has caused dramatic harm to my success in first year Uni. I couldn't concentrate, absorb information, be able to execute my knowledge on exams or anything. It's been very frustrating and causing me to be very disappointed in myself.

The biggest feedback I've been given by my teacher's and tutor is, "You were always more intelligent in class than on tests" and "You always get lost in the details, but understand the main concept".

THIS has been holding me back and causing me a lot of stress... I know how to study maths, you just learn the law, do problems and then attempt worded problems and keep practicing.

Studying physics feels like a different game... You learn the meaning of the concept, then the law and then it asks you questions, problems and conceptual ideas... I worked hard to understand this, but I'm having major trouble. I like reading and writing everything down from my textbook and I've quickly learned this is not the way to study physics. I've learned that you have to learn a small chunk and do relating problems to that concept.

But I've never really understood how to study physics effectively and it's driving me insane.

Tl;dr

How do you study physics effectively? And how do you manage depression and study?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I study physics and math the same way, read a paragraph, copy down the important parts, paraphrase it, whatever, and work every example. I used to say "I'll just wait until the exercises at the end." Don't do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Success is a series of little daily victories.

How do you study physics effectively? And how do you manage depression and study?

For me it was work lots of problems from the textbooks . I particularly liked word problems , figuring them out seemed to give me pleasure.

Light classical music in the background helped me with depression. Can't explain it, but in high school i reserved an hour every Thursday evening for listening to "Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops" . It somehow relieved the chaos and darkness. The symphonic music is orderly and smooth , calms the soul.

These were my two favorites. Maybe they'll strike a chord in you, check Youtube...

61K%2BJcZF8VL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

414lP%2B6XafL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My stepson. also a product of chaotic background, profusely thanked me for introducing him to symphonic sound. He now has a healthy proportion of it mixed in with his collection of modern "Chainsaws and Wildcats" stuff.. Mozart's "Requiem" got him started.

defiledx said:
The reason being is my anti-depressants had stopped working, and I noticed this a lot. I started to not care about my life, the person I was and my surroundings were just passing by. This has caused dramatic harm to my success in first year Uni. I couldn't concentrate, absorb information, be able to execute my knowledge on exams or anything. It's been very frustrating and causing me to be very disappointed in myself.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Are you under the care of a Psychiatrist? Maybe a change of anti-depressants is in order (or perhaps the increase of the current dose).

I suffer from depression, OCD and anxiety and it has greatly affected my studies at university. My record is full of WD and DNC (withdrawals and Did Not Complete). I completely understand how hard it is to study while battling a mental illness, and say to you not to give up.

Likes DataGG and Evo
for reaching out and sharing your story. I can understand how challenging it must be to deal with depression while also trying to succeed in your studies. It takes a lot of strength and courage to seek advice and help, so kudos to you for reaching out.

First and foremost, it's important to prioritize your mental health. If your medication has stopped working or you feel like you are struggling, it's important to talk to your doctor or therapist about it. They can help adjust your medication or provide other resources to help manage your depression.

In terms of studying, it can be helpful to break down the material into smaller, manageable chunks. This can help prevent you from feeling overwhelmed and make the material more digestible. Also, try to find a study method that works best for you. Some people find it helpful to make flashcards, others prefer to create study guides or practice problems. Experiment with different methods and see what works best for you.

It's also important to take breaks and give yourself time to relax and recharge. Studying for long periods of time without breaks can lead to burnout and make it harder to retain information. Make sure to schedule in breaks and self-care activities, such as exercise, meditation, or spending time with friends and family.

Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself. It sounds like you have faced a lot of challenges and have come a long way. Remember to celebrate your successes, no matter how small they may seem. And always remember to reach out for help when you need it. Best of luck to you in your studies and in managing your mental health.

1. What is the relationship between depression and studying?

There is a complex relationship between depression and studying. On one hand, depression can make it difficult to focus and retain information, making studying more challenging. On the other hand, the stress and pressure of studying can also contribute to feelings of depression. It is important to address both aspects in order to effectively manage depression and improve studying habits.

2. How can depression affect my academic performance?

Depression can have a significant impact on academic performance. It can lead to decreased motivation, difficulty concentrating, and lack of energy, all of which can make it difficult to complete assignments and perform well on exams. It is important to seek help and develop coping strategies to manage depression in order to maintain academic success.

3. What are some coping strategies for managing depression while studying?

Some effective coping strategies for managing depression while studying include seeking professional help, developing a support system, practicing self-care, and setting realistic goals and expectations. It can also be helpful to prioritize tasks, break them into smaller, more manageable chunks, and take breaks when needed. It is important to find a balance between studying and taking care of your mental health.

4. How can I support a friend or classmate who is struggling with depression while studying?

If you have a friend or classmate who is struggling with depression while studying, the most important thing you can do is to be there for them and offer support. This can include listening without judgment, helping them seek professional help, and encouraging healthy habits such as exercise and self-care. You can also offer to help with studying or provide resources for academic support services at your institution.

5. What resources are available for students with depression who are struggling with studying?

Most universities and colleges have resources available for students struggling with depression and studying. These can include counseling services, academic support centers, and mental health clubs or organizations. It is important to reach out and utilize these resources to help manage depression and improve studying habits. Additionally, there are online resources such as support groups and self-help tools that can be helpful for students with depression.