Derealization parts of brain? (schizophrenia)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
LightningInAJar
Messages
289
Reaction score
38
I have read people with schizophrenia and DID may experience thinking that the world has become less real. Are certain parts of the brain acting up that could be making reality seem less real?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Extreme tiredness and fatigue can do that too for everybody so the function/issue should exists in some ways, but please, don't account everything to some 'certain parts' by default. Our brain/psyche/chemistry is complicated enough as-is without looking for some anatomic pieces right away...
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: mcastillo356
LightningInAJar said:
I have read
Where?

I hope it isn't "I know a guy who knows a guy".
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Where?

I hope it isn't "I know a guy who knows a guy".
No it was an NIH article. I realize DID is quite rare and many think it's a false diagnosis, but the idea of how the brain accepts things as real outside of itself is very interesting to me.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...sense that your body,not be your own memories

This isn't what I read before but it describes the condition even outside of a clinical diagnosis.
 
Last edited:
LightningInAJar said:
how the brain accepts things as real outside of itself
I'm a solipsist. Why are you bothering me.
But seriously.
Do you really think we are anywhere close to asigning a brain locus to "awareness of reality" ?
 
hutchphd said:
I'm a solipsist. Why are you bothering me.
But seriously.
Do you really think we are anywhere close to asigning a brain locus to "awareness of reality" ?
Well certain conditions make things seem less real, some drug use makes people think things are "realer than real." There must be blood tests and fmri data on people in these conditions to show evidence as to a cause?
 
I'm quite certain that fMRI could be made to show anything you want it to show. (It is junk science IMHO). What "blood tests" can you administer to ascertain "realer than real"? I do not think we can get there from here.
 
  • Skeptical
Likes   Reactions: Dale
hutchphd said:
I'm quite certain that fMRI could be made to show anything you want it to show. (It is junk science IMHO). What "blood tests" can you administer to ascertain "realer than real"? I do not think we can get there from here.
Do you imagine how connected a person feels to the world is reflected in how functional they are? Perhaps geniuses feel particularly connected to external reality? Meanwhile autistic people might have trouble breaking through? I know genius and autistic brains have been scanned with one imaging type or another.