1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of drift speed question

1. Mar 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First off, this is NOT a homework problem. This is a conceptual question I have regarding the derivation of the drift velocity

[tex]v_d =[(qE)/m] \tau[/tex]

Typically, when this formula is derived, you first calculate the acceleration of a particle in the electric field (qE/m) and then it is noted that using v = v_o + a*t you can rearrange to get your drift velocity. However, and here is my question, it is usually noted that in the absence of an electric field the velocity of a charged particle is random and thus v_o = 0. However, this derivation assumes that the particle in a conductor experiences an electric force F = qE and thus you have to have an electric field, which I would imagine means you can NOT let v_o = 0. Am I missing something? Hopefully my question is clear, if not, I'll try to clarify. Thanks.

2. Relevant equations
    See above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    N/A

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

is not correct. It should say <v_0> = 0, meaning: the average (x-) component of the velocity of the electrons is zero. They move like crazy all over the place, though.

4. Mar 3, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

is somewhat unclear to me. If you take a piece of wire and apply an emf by connecing both ends to the two ends of a battery, that emf is present, irrespective of the v0.

If it helps, you could think of a conducting wire as if it were a long pipe filled with short springs of a little less than the inner diameter: push in a spring at one end, out comes one at the other. But it takes quite a while before the spring you press in re-appears. (warning: this analogy doesn't go very far...)

5. Mar 3, 2014 #4
    Ah yes, of course, <v_o> = 0
    Thanks for pointing that out. However, I think my question still holds: in the absence of an electric field the velocity of a charged particle is random and thus <v_o> = 0. However, to derive the acceleration you have to assume an electric field since F = qE. How do you reconcile the two statements? Thanks.

6. Mar 3, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have difficulty understanding where exactly do you think there is a contradiction ? The electric field comes from outside, not from the electrons themselves.

7. Mar 4, 2014 #6
    I know the electric field is external. So perhaps another way of wording the question is: <v_o> = 0 in the presence of an E-field? I don't believe that is true. That is why we say in the absence of an electric field the velocity of a charged particle is random and thus on average = 0. However, here we are assuming an external E-field and thus <v_o> should not be equal to 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted