1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E-Field Through Copper Wire given drift velocity

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the magnitude of the drift velocity of free electrons in a copper wire is 7.84×10-4 m/s, what is the electric field in the conductor? (Also gives chart that states that the resistivity of Cu is 1.7×10-8 Ωm)

2. Relevant equations

vd=(qEτ)/me (where τ is avg. time between collisions)

ρ=1/σ=me/(nq2τ)

3. The attempt at a solution

first I solved for τ in the second equation:
    τ=me/(nq2ρ)

Then I put this value in for τ in the first equation:
    vd=(qE(me/(nq2ρ))/me
    Simplify:
    vd=E/(qnp)

When I put in values:
    7.84×10-4=E/(1.6×10-19)(1.7×10-8)(n)
    I didn't know how to get n (number of e- per m3), so I googled the density of copper (8.96 g/ml) and did some conversions to get n=8.475×1028, which gave me a correct answer of E=.18V/m, but I don't think I was supposed to use google, and no density chart is given in the book. Is there another way to do this that I overlooked?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2016 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a more direct way that does not involve τ. The current density is related to the electric field by J = (1/ρ) E and to the drift velocity by J = n e vd. You still need n which you cannot get from what is given unless you look things up.

4. Nov 2, 2016 #3
    Thanks kuruman. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted