Derivation of Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme

In summary, the finite volume version of Lax-Wendroff scheme is derived by taking the original PDE and using a Taylor's expansion to approximate the solution. The average flux of u is then used to find the equation in the correct form, ultimately leading to the approximation of the spatial derivative using ##\frac{f_{j+1}-f_{j-1}}{2\Delta x}##. However, a complete and thorough derivation for this scheme is not readily available and may require further research.
fahraynk
I'm trying to figure out how the finite volume version of Lax-Wendroff scheme is derived.

Here is the PDE and Lax-Wendfroff scheme, assume initial conditions are given:
$$u=\text{function of x,t}\\\hat{u}=\frac{1}{\Delta x}\int_{x_{i-1/2}}^{x_{i+1/2}}u\thinspace dx \text{ (the average flux through volume)}$$
$$\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=-\frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial x}\rightarrow \\\hat{u}_j^{n+1}=\hat{u}_j^n - \frac{\Delta t}{\Delta x}(F_{j+1/2}^n-F_{j-1/2}^n)\\
F_{j+1/2}=\frac{1}{2}\thinspace (f_{j+1}+f_j)-\frac{1}{2}\thinspace a^2_{j+1/2}\frac{\Delta t}{\Delta x}\thinspace (\hat{u}_{j+1}-\hat{u}_j)\\
a_{j+1/2}=\begin{cases}
\frac{f_{j+1}-f_j}{\hat{u}_{j+1}-\hat{u}_j} & if \enspace \hat{u}_{j+1}\neq \hat{u}_j \\
f'(u_j) & if \enspace \hat{u}_{j+1}=\hat{u}_j
\end{cases}$$

I know that in a finite difference Lax-Wendroff is derived from the original PDE and a taylors expansion like this :

$$u_t=-cu_x \rightarrow u_{tt}=c^2u_{xx}\\
\text {taylors expansion :}\thinspace u(t+\Delta t, x)= u+\Delta t\thinspace u_t + \frac{\Delta t^2}{2}u_{tt} \rightarrow \\u^{m+1}_n=u^m_n-c\Delta t \thinspace u_x+\frac{c^2\Delta t^2}{2}u_{xx}$$

I know in finite volume we are measuring the average flux of ##u##, so I attempt to get the equation into the right form using ##\hat{u}## by dividing by ##\Delta x## and taking an integral with respect to x.

$$\hat{u}_n^{m+1}=\hat{u}_n^m-\frac{c\Delta t}{\Delta x}(u(x_{i+1/2},t)-u(x_{i-1/2},t)+\frac{c^2\Delta t^2}{2\Delta x^2}u_x|_{x_{i-1/2}}^{x_{i+1/2}}$$ Not sure what to do though from here.

I also tried just expanding ##f## like this :
$$
f(u(x+\frac{\Delta x}{2}))=f(u(x))+\frac{\Delta x}{2}f_u u_x+(\frac{\Delta x}{2})^2(f_{uu}u_x^2+f_u u_{xx})
$$

I don't see where this is going either. I just can't find it derived after a ton of google searching. Can anyone show me or link me to a derivation?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Lax-Wendoff, isn't the spatial derivative approximated by ##\frac{f_{j+1}-f_{j-1}}{2\Delta x}##?

1. What is the Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme?

The Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme is a numerical method used for solving partial differential equations (PDEs) that model the behavior of fluid flow, heat transfer, and other physical phenomena. It is a finite volume method that discretizes the domain into small control volumes and uses a combination of forward and backward differencing to calculate the values of the dependent variables at each time step.

2. How does the Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme work?

The Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme works by dividing the domain into a grid of control volumes. The scheme uses a combination of forward and backward differencing to calculate the values of the dependent variables at each time step. The values at the next time step are then calculated using a weighted average of the values at the current time step and the values at the half time step. This process is repeated until the desired time is reached, allowing for the simulation of the behavior of the system over time.

3. What are the advantages of using the Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme?

There are several advantages to using the Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme. One advantage is that it is a second-order accurate scheme, meaning that the error decreases as the grid is refined. This makes it more accurate than first-order schemes, such as the upwind scheme. Additionally, the scheme is conservative, meaning that it accurately preserves the total mass or energy of the system. It is also relatively easy to implement and can handle a wide range of physical phenomena.

4. Are there any limitations to the Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme?

While the Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme has many advantages, it also has some limitations. One limitation is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for complex systems or large grids. Additionally, it may not be stable for certain types of PDEs, such as those with strong shocks or discontinuities. Therefore, it is important to carefully choose the appropriate scheme for each specific problem.

5. How is the accuracy of the Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme evaluated?

The accuracy of the Lax-Wendroff finite volume scheme is typically evaluated by comparing the results to analytical solutions or experimental data, if available. Additionally, the scheme can be evaluated by studying its convergence behavior, which measures how the error decreases as the grid is refined. The scheme is considered to be more accurate if the error decreases more rapidly with a finer grid. Other measures, such as conservation properties and stability, can also be used to evaluate the accuracy of the scheme.