Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the Equilibrium Constant

1. Jan 30, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to understand this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_constant#Derivation_from_Gibbs_Free_Energy
    And there are few steps that I don't get. My first question is probably a stupid one, but where does the [tex]\Sigma[/tex]v[tex]_{j}[/tex]A[tex]_{j}[/tex]=0 come from? What exactly is it summing up, the number of atoms? Are you assuming that the products side is negative? (Because I don't see how else you would get zero) And why does it only go up to n?

I'll ask my other questions after I get some replies because it's possible I'll figure them out after I read the replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

My guess is it is just a mass conservation, and yes, products are negative.

4. Jan 30, 2011 #3
    Ok, but why does it only sum up to n? The first equation in the derivation shows the first product being n but then shows more products after that. If it was mass conservation, wouldn't it have to sum passed n?

5. Jan 31, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Where does it sum only to n? It sums for all j.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?