Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of Complex Variables

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    Hi,

What is the following derivative:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}|b-ax|^2[/tex]?

Now I know that [tex]|b-ax|^2=(b-ax)(b^*-a^*x^*)[/tex], so how to do the differentiation with respect to [tex]x^*[/tex]?

Thanks in advance

PS.: All variables and constants are complex.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is this a homework question?

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It is not clear what that derivative means.
    A guess would be that it is a Wirtinger derivative in which case we have
    [tex]\frac{\partial x^*}{\partial x}=0[/tex]

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4
    No it is not.

So lurflurf, are you saying that the derivative will be:

[tex]-a(b-ax)^*[/tex]

I thought it will be like:

[tex]-(b-ax)a^*[/tex]

but I couldn't prove it.

6. Oct 20, 2011 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Again it is not clear what that derivative means, but a good guess would be -a(b-ax)*.
    Then we have
    d|b-a x|^2=-a(b-a x)* dx+-a*(b-a x) dx*

notice that |b-a x|^2 is definitely not complex differentiable as it depends upon x and x* rather than upon x alone

7. Oct 20, 2011 #6
    No, I just need to the derivative [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex], where the derivative is partial with respect to x. I see some books writing x as a+jb, and then compute the derivatives with respect to a and b. I was just wondering if there is another way to do this.

Thanks

8. Oct 20, 2011 #7

lurflurf

Homework Helper

There are different ways because a complex variable can change in more ways than a real variable. We can work with different coordinates or none. So a function of a complex variable can be described in diferent ways with two variables
    |x| and arg(x)
    Re(x) and Im(x)
    x and x*
    and so on

since you are interested in the x partial x and x* are natural, but you could use any set and the chain rule to find the x partial.
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial u}+\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial v}[/tex]
    However you want to choose u and v

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook