Derivative of projectile path magnitude with respect to time

  • Thread starter Thread starter PMP
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
20 replies · 4K views
PMP
Would you tell me what is:

[tex]\frac{d\sqrt{(v_0cos \theta t)^2 + (v_0 \sin \theta t - 1/2gt^2)^2}}{dt}[/tex]

Please. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a simple application of the chain rule. What have you done so far?
 
I have just basic knowledge of derivatives, this exercise is one difficult for my level, so I would just like to know if I derivated this correctly. Would you help me, neutrino?
 
Hint:
Simplify the radicand first!
 
PMP said:
so I would just like to know if I derivated this correctly.
Post what you have done so that we can check if it is done correctly.

Treat [tex]v_0cos \theta t)^2 + (v_0 \sin \theta t - 1/2gt^2)^2[/tex] as a single function of t, say g, under the square root. If the whole function is denoted by f, then [tex]f = \sqrt{g}[/tex]. Now use the chain rule [tex]\frac{df}{dt} = \frac{df}{dg}\frac{dg}{dt}[/tex]
 
Thanks arildno, I have already done that, and have my result. I really just want to see if it is correct. Is it:

[tex]2v_0^2t +g^2t^3 - 3v_0\sin \theta gt^2[/tex] ?

The denominator doesen't matter because I will equal that derivative to zero.
 
Ok, thank you all of you. My basic derivative technique works. :)

How would I find the maximum value of theta, such that the this derivative is positive for t belonging to the interval [0, 2v0sin(theta)/g]?
 
Who's there? :P

If you want to maximise the above derivative wrt to theta, then differentiate it wrt to theta and set it zero.
 
neutrino said:
Who's there? :P
That person already ran way. :smile:

I should differentiate wrt to theta [tex]2v_0^2t +g^2t^3 - 3v_0\sin \theta gt^2[/tex] or the initial [tex]\sqrt{(v_0cos \theta t)^2 + (v_0 \sin \theta t - 1/2gt^2)^2}[/tex] ?

Because if it is to differentiate the above I would get [tex]\cos \theta = 0[/tex], right? And it is not the correct result.
Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on which function you want to maximise.
How would I find the maximum value of theta, such that the this derivative is positive for t belonging to the interval [0, 2v0sin(theta)/g]?
 
This is a projectile position vector and I need to find theta such that the magnitude of the position vector during the projectile motion is always increasing. So I did dr/dt>=0. Got the expression above, but now if I differentite this wrt to theta I will not get the correct result. The deravite is [itex]-3v_0\cos\theta gt^2[/itex]. Right?
 
PMP said:
neutrino, knock, knock...
My turn, my turn... who's there...? :wink:
PMP said:
This is a projectile position vector
Is [itex]\theta[/itex] your launch angle?
 
PMP said:
Yes, it is. Thanks for being prepared to help.
No problem, then why may I ask you to state the complete problem as given in your text.
 
This not in a text. But it is like this: What is the maximum lauch angle for a projectile be always going away from me? That is, for the magnitude of the position vector be always increasing in time. I don't want you to solve the problem, just to say if I am in the right way. Thanks in advance!
 
I guess. The initial conditions are:

x_0=0
y_0=0

But that is the magnitude of the postion vector. Is it right?
 
You do not need to find the second derivative, simply find the interval of theta such that

[tex]2v_0^2t +g^2t^3 - 3v_0\cdot gt^2\sin \theta > 0[/tex]

Do you understand why?