1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we solve for x(t) and y(t) with respect to time?

1. Jan 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I would like to ask a question I was discussing the other day with a friend of mine. Suppose you have a point mass m, sliding on the friction-free curve [itex]y = e^{-x}[/itex] starting from position [itex]x(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]y(0) = 1[/itex] with zero initial velocity. Can we find in closed-form the exact position [itex](x,y)[/itex] with respect to time?

2. The attempt at a solution
    Going down the usual path, from conservation of energy I found that [itex]v = \sqrt{2g(1-y)}[/itex]. Assuming [itex]φ[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and the downward vertical direction (the direction of negative ordinates), and using that [itex]\dot{x} = v \sin(φ)[/itex], [itex]\dot{y} = v \cos(φ)[/itex], [itex]φ = \tan^{-1}(e^{x})[/itex], I reached

[tex]\dot{x} = \sqrt{2g}\sqrt{\frac{e^{2x}-e^{x}}{e^{2x}+1}}[/tex]
    [tex]\dot{y} = -y\sqrt{2g}\sqrt{\frac{1-y}{1+y^2}}[/tex]

From these two, I need to solve only one. Choosing the first, separating [itex]dx[/itex] and [itex]dy[/itex] and integrating, yields

[tex]\int_0^{x(t)}\sqrt{\frac{e^{2x} + 1}{e^{2x} - e^{x} }}dx = \sqrt{2g}t[/tex]

However, plugging the integral in the LHS in Mathematica doesn't compute anything, most likely meaning that this integral is not solvable in closed form, let alone invertible in closed-form.

Choosing now the second equation and doing the same yields:
    [tex]\int_1^{y(t)}\sqrt{\frac{1+y^2}{1 - y}}\frac{dy}{y} = - \sqrt{2g}t[/tex]

Again, trying to compute the integral in the LHS, gives an assortment of complex elliptic integrals that are gain not invertible in some closed-form. Any thoughts about what can be done?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You reached $$
    \dot{x} = \sqrt{2g}\sqrt{\frac{e^{2x}-1}{e^{2x}+1}}$$
    but I reach something else ( from ##\ \ e^{2x}(1-e^{-x})\ \ ## under the square root in the numerator ).

4. Jan 17, 2017 #3
    Thank you for replying BvU! You are absolutely correct ##\dot{x}## is not the one I wrote but
    $$\dot{x} = \sqrt{2g}\sqrt{\frac{e^{2x}-e^{x}}{e^{2x}+1}} = \sqrt{2g}\sqrt{\frac{1-e^{-x}}{1+e^{-2x}}}$$
    I also noted that ##\dot{y}## needs a minus in order for ##\dot{y} = -e^{-x}\dot{x} = -y \dot{x}## to hold. I will correct the initial post! However, after this correction, things get even more challenging, since the integral now is not analytically computable!

5. Jan 17, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:welcome:

Did someone promise you there would be an elegant looking analytical solution ?
    If you want that, you might look at a cycloid instead of an exponential :rolleyes:

6. Jan 17, 2017 #5
    Haha! :smile:None indeed BvU! As I said, it is just an inquiry I had with a friend of mine the other day. It surprised me that the only method I could find involved integration and then inversion of the result so I thought that I might be going down the wrong path. At best, there should be a way to acquire the solution in some integral form and then let numerical integration take over!

Thank you for your warm welcoming message! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted