Jan Hill Messages 63 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Nov 11, 2010 #1 Homework Statement y = 2x^2pi Give an exact answer in terms of pi Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution y' = 4pix^pi Is this as far as I can go with this?
Homework Statement y = 2x^2pi Give an exact answer in terms of pi Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution y' = 4pix^pi Is this as far as I can go with this?
tiny-tim Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 25,837 Reaction score 258 Nov 11, 2010 #2 Jan Hill said: y = 2x^2pi Give an exact answer in terms of pi … y' = 4pix^pi Is this as far as I can go with this? (have a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box ) No, it's wrong … why xπ ?
Jan Hill said: y = 2x^2pi Give an exact answer in terms of pi … y' = 4pix^pi Is this as far as I can go with this? (have a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box ) No, it's wrong … why xπ ?
HallsofIvy Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 42,895 Reaction score 983 Nov 11, 2010 #3 Do you know what the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] is? Use that formula with [itex]n= 2\pi[/itex].
Jan Hill Messages 63 Reaction score 0 Nov 11, 2010 #5 I put pi because the exponent becomes 2pi - pi which equals pi
tiny-tim Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 25,837 Reaction score 258 Nov 11, 2010 #6 Jan Hill said: I put pi because the exponent becomes 2pi - pi which equals pi (what happened to that π i gave you? ) nooo … xn becomes nxn-1, with n = π
Jan Hill said: I put pi because the exponent becomes 2pi - pi which equals pi (what happened to that π i gave you? ) nooo … xn becomes nxn-1, with n = π
howsockgothap Messages 59 Reaction score 0 Nov 11, 2010 #7 Hmm I think you're all wrong. x^n becomes x^(n-1). you end up with 2pi -1, not 2pi-pi