1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving a formula for Impedance for an AC circuit

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the impedance of the circuit (R and L in series, and then C in parallel with them). A circuit is said to be in resonance if Z is real; find ω in terms of R, L, and C at resonance.

Here is the circuit:

http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g...ccircuitgf5.png

2. Relevant equations

The objective is to derive the equation. I'm not really sure where to start.

3. The attempt at a solution

For whatever reason, I never covered impedance of an AC circuit in intro physics II. Now in my mathematical methods of physics class we have a problem that requires you to work with it. I have no idea what to do here, and I'm certain something like this will be on the test next week. Basically, the only thing I am asking for is hints on where to start.

It would be appreciated if

a.) someone helped me with where to start

b.) someone posted links to remedial topics on AC circuits (as I said, we didn't not cover much with AC circuits in Physics II)

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2
  4. Sep 20, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Battlemage!, does your textbook or class notes give equations for the impedance of resistors, capacitors, and inductors separately?

Once you have those, they combine just like resistors do in terms of series and parallel components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?