1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving acceleration from Position vector help

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object has a position given by r-> = [2.0 m + (1.00 m/s)t] i + [3.0m−(5.00 m/s2)t2] j, where all quantities are in SI units. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the object at time t = 2.00 s?

2. Relevant equations
    All I am thinking here is that I can find acceleration by deriving velocity from the position vector, then taking the deriving the velocity vector.

3. The attempt at a solution
    deriving the original r vector for velocity gave me V=[2.0m + (1.00 m/s)(1)]i + [3.0m - (5.00 m/s^2)(2t)]j

deriving the velocity vector for a gave me A=[2.0m + (1.00 m/s)]i + [3.0m - (5.00 m/s^2)(t)]j

once I have this vector for acceleration, I get the acceleration at t=2.00s to be A(2.00s)=(3m)i + (-7m/s^2)j.

I find the vector A=7.616 m/s^2, which my online software says is incorrect. Can I get some input here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2
    What is the derivative of 2.0?

4. Sep 8, 2013 #3
    Isn't the derivative of 2, 1? I apologize, I thought you left variables in the equation until you were done deriving? As in I would put 2 in for t after I had the equation for acceleration?

5. Sep 8, 2013 #4
    Your function is basically ## \vec{r}(t) = (a + bt)\vec{i} + (c + dt^2)\vec{j}##, where ## a, \ b, \ c, \ d ## are some constants. You differentiate the vector function component-wise, so you compute ## \frac {d} {dt} (a + bt) ## and ## \frac {d} {dt} (c + dt^2) ##.

Now, ## \frac {d} {dt} (a + bt) = \frac {d} {dt} a + \frac {d} {dt} bt##, and what is ## \frac {d} {dt} a ## if ## a ## is constant?

6. Sep 8, 2013 #5
    Wouldn't the derivative of a be 0?

So then I can find that V= [(0m)+(t)]i + [(0m)-(t^2)]j

So V= (t)i + (-t^2)

Deriving V, I get that A= (1)i + (-2t)j ? I see my answer here is wrong as well.... I really how no clue what I am doing wrong, and I can't even find deriving V and A from an R vector.

7. Sep 8, 2013 #6
    Ok, I now see here that the derivative of dt^2= 2dt. I'm going to see if this helps me out.

8. Sep 8, 2013 #7
    Correct.

You have fixed the problem with constants. Now fix the problem with non-constants. What are ## \frac {d} {dt} (pt) ## and ##\frac {d} {dt} (qt^2) ##, where ## p, \ q ## are constant?

9. Sep 8, 2013 #8
    d/dt (pt) woud be (t)? correct? and d/dt (q(t^2)) would be 2qt? so my vector for velocity is V= (t)i + [(-10m/s^2)t]j?

Giving the vector A= [d/dt (t)]i + [d/dt (-10(t)m/s^2)]

what I can see:
    1)The derivative of t would be 1, as with any lone variable?
    2)the derivative of 10(t) is t, since we just remove the constant>

so A= (1m)i - (tm/s^2)

10. Sep 8, 2013 #9
    This is one error that plagues your calculations repeatedly. Review this subject.

11. Sep 8, 2013 #10
    Wow, it was so simple that I never even thought about it. I don't know how id made it through math 137 and still make that mistake. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted