Deriving equation 4.106 from 4.105 in Bransden and Joachain

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
andresordonez
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
This is part 2 of problem 4.8 from "Physics of Atoms and Molecules - Bransden, Joachain"

Homework Statement


Deduce [4.106] from [4.105]


Homework Equations


[tex]\tilde{M}_{ba} = - \frac{m\omega_{ba}}{\hbar c} \langle \psi _b \vert z \dot{x} \vert \psi _a \rangle[/tex] [4.105]

[tex]\tilde{M}_{ba} = -\frac{\omega_{ba}}{2\hbar c} \langle \psi_b \vert L_y \vert \psi_a \rangle - \frac{i m \omega_{ba}^2}{2\hbar c} \langle \psi_b \vert zx \vert \psi_a \rangle[/tex] [4.106]


The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]-\frac{m\omega_{ba}}{\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert z\dot{x}\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle =-\frac{m\omega_{ba}}{i\hbar^{2}c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert z\left[x,H_{0}\right]\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle =i\frac{m\omega_{ba}}{\hbar^{2}c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert\left(\left[zx,H_{0}\right]-\left[z,H_{0}\right]x\right)\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle =i\frac{m\omega_{ba}}{\hbar^{2}c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert\left(\left[zx,H_{0}\right]-i\hbar\dot{z}x\right)\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle[/tex]

[tex]=-i\frac{m\omega_{ba}^{2}}{\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zx\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle +\frac{\omega_{ba}}{\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert p_{z}x\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle =-\frac{\omega_{ba}}{\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert\left(L_{y}-zp_{x}\right)\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle -i\frac{m\omega_{ba}^{2}}{\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zx\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle[/tex]

[tex]=-\frac{\omega_{ba}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert L_{y}\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle -i\frac{m\omega_{ba}^{2}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zx\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle +\left[-\frac{\omega_{ba}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert L_{y}\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle -i\frac{m\omega_{ba}^{2}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zx\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle +\frac{\omega_{ba}}{\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zp_{x}\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle \right][/tex]

But then:

[tex]-\frac{\omega_{ba}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert L_{y}\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle -i\frac{m\omega_{ba}^{2}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zx\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle +\frac{\omega_{ba}}{\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zp_{x}\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle =0?[/tex]

I tried to prove the last equation without success. Any help would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you mean the 2's in this expression

[tex] -\frac{\omega_{ba}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert L_{y}\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle -i\frac{m\omega_{ba}^{2}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zx\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle +\left[-\frac{\omega_{ba}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert L_{y}\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle -i\frac{m\omega_{ba}^{2}}{2\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zx\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle +\frac{\omega_{ba}}{\hbar c}\left\langle \psi_{b}\vert zp_{x}\vert\psi_{a}\right\rangle \right] [/tex]

I was just trying to get [4.106]

[tex] a = \frac{a}{2} +\frac{a}{2}[/tex]

I think you mean [tex][z,p_z]=i\hbar[/tex] or [tex][z,p_x]=0[/tex]. Anyway I don't see how that would help