Deriving Expectations (i.e. mean)

• Thread starter kurvmax
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Deriving Expectations (i.e. means)

I'm looking at my Introduction to Econometrics book and trying to figure out the derivations in the 2nd Chapter.

First, [tex]E(Y^{2}) = \sigma^{2}_{Y}+\mu^{2}_{Y}[/tex]

The derivation goes like this:

[tex]E(Y^{2}) = E{[(Y - \mu_{Y})+ \mu_{Y}]^{2}} = E[(Y- \mu_{Y})^2] + 2\mu_{Y}E(Y-\mu_{Y})+ \mu^{2}_{Y} = \sigma^{2}_{Y} + \mu^{2}_{Y}[/tex] because [tex]E(Y - \mu_{Y}) = 0[/tex]

If this last thing equals zero, then why doesn't everything but [tex]\mu^{2}_{Y}[/tex] drop out?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

[tex]E(Y^{2}) = E[(Y - \mu_{Y})^{2}] = E[(Y- \mu_{Y})^2] + 2\mu_{Y}E(Y-\mu_{Y})+ \mu^{2}_{Y} = \sigma^{2}_{Y} + \mu^{2}_{Y}[/tex] because [tex]E(Y - \mu_{Y}) = 0[/tex]
Already the first "equality" is certainly not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Err, yeah. Sorry -- fixed.

quadraphonics
I'm looking at my Introduction to Econometrics book and trying to figure out the derivations in the 2nd Chapter.

First, [tex]E(Y^{2}) = \sigma^{2}_{Y}+\mu^{2}_{Y}[/tex]

The derivation goes like this:

[tex]E(Y^{2}) = E{[(Y - \mu_{Y})+ \mu_{Y}]^{2}} = E[(Y- \mu_{Y})^2] + 2\mu_{Y}E(Y-\mu_{Y})+ \mu^{2}_{Y} = \sigma^{2}_{Y} + \mu^{2}_{Y}[/tex] because [tex]E(Y - \mu_{Y}) = 0[/tex]

If this last thing equals zero, then why doesn't everything but [tex]\mu^{2}_{Y}[/tex] drop out?
Because [itex]E(Y-\mu_Y)=0[/itex] does not imply that [itex]E\left[(Y-\mu_Y)^2\right]=0[/itex]. Otherwise, every random variable would be degenerate. Note that the square is *inside* the expectation.

Ah, yeah. [tex]E\left[(Y-\mu_Y)^2\right]=\sigma^{2}[/tex], right?

So now I'm wondering how [tex]E(Y^{2}) = E{[(Y - \mu_{Y})+ \mu_{Y}]^{2}} [/tex]

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Are you sure it is not E[((Y-\mu_Y)+ \mu_Y)^2][/itex]? That would then be [itex]E[(Y-\mu_Y)^2- 2\mu_Y(Y- \mu_Y)+ \mu_y^2][/itex] which gives the rest.

Err, sorry. That's what it is. But I still don't see how you go from [tex]E(Y^2)[/tex] to [tex]E[((Y-\mu_Y)+\mu_Y)^2][/tex]. How'd they come up with the latter definition? Did they just add and subtract [tex]\mu_{Y}[/tex] and then add it, then group them using the associativity property?

If I didn't add and subtract [tex]\mu_{Y}\[/tex], it seems to me that I would get [tex]E(Y^2) = \mu_Y^2[/tex]...

How do you do the proof of [tex]E(Y) = \mu_Y[/tex]?

Nevermind, I see. You have to add and subtract [tex]\mu_Y[/tex] (why is this formatting strangely?) to even get it. The proof of [tex]E(Y) = \mu_Y[/tex] is, I guess

[tex]E(Y) = E[(Y -\mu_Y) + \mu_Y] = E(Y - \mu_Y) + E(\mu_Y)[/tex]

Was what I did above legal? Can I distribute the E, and would [tex]E(\mu_Y) = \mu_Y[/tex]

Last edited:
it seems to me that I would get [tex]E(Y^2) = \mu_Y^2[/tex]
No, because

[tex]
E(Y^2)\neq \left[E(Y)\right]^2 = \mu_Y^2
[/tex]

How do you do the proof of [tex]E(Y) = \mu_Y[/tex]?
That's a definition.

Nevermind, I see. You have to add and subtract [tex]\mu_Y[/tex] to even get it. The proof of [tex]E(Y) = \mu_Y[/tex] is, I guess

[tex]E(Y) = E[(Y -\mu_Y) + \mu_Y] = E(Y - \mu_Y) + E(\mu_Y)[/tex]

Was what I did above legal? Can I distribute the E, and would [tex]E(\mu_Y) = \mu_Y[/tex]
It was "legal", but to see that the first term vanishes you use [itex]E(Y-\mu_Y)=0[/itex] which is equivalent to [itex]E(Y)=\mu_Y[/itex] which is what you want to show. [itex]\mu_Y[/itex] is just a short notation for [itex]E(Y)[/itex]

No, because

[tex]
E(Y^2)\neq E(Y)^2 = \mu_Y^2
[/tex]
The notation could be a source of confusion. Some people interpret the square in the second term to act on Y rather than on the expectation as a whole. (To the Original poster): perhaps its better if you write

[tex]E^{2}(Y) = (E(Y))^2 = (\mu_Y)^{2} = \mu_{Y}^2[/tex]

(PS--I wrote this because some books define variance(X) as [itex]E(X-\mu_{X})^2[/itex]. They actually mean [itex]E[(X-\mu_{X})^2][/itex], that is, expectation of the square of the difference between X and its mean.)