Deriving Expression for Population Fraction (Statistical Mechanics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the population fraction in a quasi-3 level solid-state laser gain medium, where the ground state manifold contains two energy levels. It presents a relationship for the population fraction in the ground energy level when the gain medium is not optically pumped, and asks for the value of the ground state population fraction at a temperature of 25°C. The solution involves using the degeneracies of the energy levels and making substitutions to solve for the population fraction. The conversation also mentions that the degeneracies do not affect the final result.
Collisionman

Homework Statement

A quasi-3 level solid-state laser gain medium consists of a ground state manifold containing two energy levels within which a single electron can be promoted, with the second energy 10meV above that of the lowest level.

A. Where the gain medium is not optically pumped, derive the relationship for the population fraction held in the ground energy level.

B. Given the value for the ground state population fraction where the coolant holds the gain medium to a temperature of 25°C.

Homework Equations

Population Fraction: [itex]\frac{n_{i}}{N} = [/itex][itex]\frac{g_{i}e^{-\frac{1}{K_{B}T}E_{i}}}{\sum_{i}g_{i}e^{-\frac{1}{K_{B}T}E_{i}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the ground energy level, [itex]E_{0}=0[/itex] and, for the second energy level, [itex]E_{1}=10meV[/itex]. So, for the ground energy level, the population fraction is;

[itex]\frac{n_{i}}{N} = \frac{g_{0}e^{0}}{g_{0}e^{0}+g_{1}e^{-\frac{10meV}{K_{B}T}}}[/itex]

I'm unsure of what the degeneracies are for [itex]E_{0}[/itex] and [itex]E_{1}[/itex]. Would I be right in assuming they're just [itex]g_{0}=g_{1}=1[/itex]?

If I knew this I'd have no problem finishing the rest of the question which is just a matter of substitution.

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Regards,

Collisionman

Physics news on Phys.org
Collisionman said:
Would I be right in assuming they're just [itex]g_{0}=g_{1}=1[/itex]?

Yes.

Note that you don't really care about all possible degeneracies. Like for example, you don't care at all that electrons have spin 1/2, as those factors cancel out. All you care about is the relative number of states corresponding to each energy.

1. What is the population fraction in statistical mechanics?

The population fraction in statistical mechanics refers to the relative number of particles in a particular energy state compared to the total number of particles in the system. It is typically denoted by the symbol f and is calculated by dividing the number of particles in a specific energy state by the total number of particles in the system.

2. How is the population fraction related to the Boltzmann distribution?

The population fraction is directly related to the Boltzmann distribution, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state. The population fraction is equal to the Boltzmann factor, e^(-E/kT), divided by the sum of all Boltzmann factors for all energy states in the system.

3. What is the expression for the population fraction in terms of energy levels?

The expression for the population fraction can be derived using the Boltzmann distribution and is given by f = e^(-E/kT) / Σ(e^(-E/kT)). In this expression, E represents the energy of a particular state, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature of the system.

4. How does the population fraction change with temperature?

The population fraction is directly influenced by temperature, as seen in the Boltzmann distribution. As temperature increases, the Boltzmann factor decreases and the population fraction for higher energy states increases. Conversely, as temperature decreases, the population fraction for lower energy states increases.

5. What is the significance of the population fraction in statistical mechanics?

The population fraction is a crucial concept in statistical mechanics as it allows us to calculate the relative distribution of particles in a system based on their energy states. This information is important in understanding the behavior and properties of a system, such as phase transitions, thermal equilibrium, and energy transfer.