Leading non-vanishing term of the groundstate for ##H_0##

  • Thread starter Thread starter guyvsdcsniper
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Term
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
guyvsdcsniper
Messages
264
Reaction score
37
Homework Statement
Find the non leading vanishing term to the ground state
Relevant Equations
Perturbation theory
The eigenvalue for this ##H_0## is given by ##\hbar \omega(n+1) ; (n_x+n_y = n)##

At the ground state, ##nx = ny = 0## so the eigenvalue is simply ##\hbar\omega##

Next we turn the perturbation potential on and I know that the first order shift in the energy is the expectation value of the perturbing Hamiltonian in the unperturbed state corresponding to that energy.

##E_n^1 = \braket{nx,ny|\hat H_1|nx,ny} = \frac {\lambda \hbar}{2m\omega}[\braket{0,0|a_xa_y+a_xa_y^\dagger + a_x^\dagger a_y + a_x^\dagger a_y^\dagger|0,0} = 0 ##

From here, I am to calculate the second order energy shift of the ground state.

I am having trouble applying the formula,

##\sum_{k\neq n} \frac{|\braket{k|\hat H_1|n}|^2}{E_n^0-E_k^0}##

For this problem nx and ny = 0 in the ground state
##\sum_{k\neq 0,0} \frac{|\braket{k|\hat H_1|0,0}|^2}{E_{0,0}^0-E_k^0}##
I can express ##\hat H_1##

##\sum_{k\neq 0,0}(\frac {\lambda \hbar}{2m\omega})^2 \frac{|\braket{k|\hat x \hat y|0,0}|^2}{E_{0,0}^0-E_k^0}##

I have trouble understand what to do next in this problem. Im not really sure what K would be, I know it just be 0,0 which is what n is.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It would tremendously help us to help you, if you could give a complete statement of the problem under consideration!
 
vanhees71 said:
It would tremendously help us to help you, if you could give a complete statement of the problem under consideration!
My apologies, I thought I attached a screenshot of the problem but I might have accidentally deleted it. I figured out the problem though. Thank you!