1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving expressions for total capacitance

1. Feb 13, 2014 #1
    Hello,

my timetabled experiments for lab work are a week or two ahead of my E&M course which means i'm doing the experiments before being introduced to the theory.

As part of my prep work I need to come up with an expression for the total capacitance of a number of different circuits involving a combination of parallel and in-series circuits.

I would really appreciate it if someone could look at what I have done so far and offer some help with the last one that I am stuck on.

Thanks!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive expressions for the total capacitance expected in part 2.3.3

(Circuit diagrams attached)

2. Relevant equations

Ctotal = C1+C2 + C3... ( for capacitors in parallel)

1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 ... (for capacitors in series)
    3. The attempt at a solution

Circuit (i)

Capacitor 1, 2 and 3 are in parallel with one another and therefore add to give Ctotal = C1+C2 + C3

Circuit (ii)

Capacitor 3 and 4 are in series with one another, so add to give 1/C3,4 = 1/C3 + 1/C4

Capacitor 2 and 'capacitor 3,4' are in parallel so add to give C2,3,4 = (C3,4) + C2

Capacitor 1 and Capacitor 2,3,4 are in series with one another so 1/C1,2,3,4 = 1/C1 + 1/C2,3,4

Circuit (iii)

Capacitors 1, 2 and 3 are all in parallel so add as C1,2,3 = C1 + C2 + C3

Similarly Capacitors 4, 5 and 6 add to give C4,5,6 = C4 + C5 + C6

These two grouping add to give 1/C1,2,3,4,5,6 = 1/(C1,2,3) + 1/(C4,5,6)

Circuit (iv)

I'm really struggling to figure out how to break apart the capacitors into groups and which ones to consider etc.

I know it's asking a lot to pick through the above but i'd really appreciate some help here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are doing just fine. In iv you make life easier by drawing A higher and B lower. Then you see 2,3,4 in series and 1 in parallel with that.

Four in series caused a problem in an earlier thread today. I don't think you will stumble, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted