1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Lorentz transformations using perturbation theory

1. Dec 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive the transformations ##x \rightarrow \frac{x+vt}{\sqrt{1-v^{2}}}## and ##t \rightarrow \frac{t+vx}{\sqrt{1-v^{2}}}## in perturbation theory. Start with the Galilean transformation ##x \rightarrow x+vt##. Add a transformation ##t \rightarrow t + \delta t## and solve for ##\delta t## assuming it is linear in ##x## and ##t## and preserves ##t^{2}-x^{2}## to ##\mathcal{O}(v^{2})##.Repeat for ##\delta t## and ##\delta x## to second order in ##v## and show that the result agrees with the second-order expansion of the full transformations.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

We need to find the third term from ##x' = \frac{x+vt}{\sqrt{1-v^{2}}} = (x+vt)(1+\frac{v^{2}}{2}+\cdots)=x+vt+\frac{xv^{2}}{2}+\cdots##, and

we need to find the second and third terms from ##t' = \frac{t+vx}{\sqrt{1-v^{2}}} = (t+vx)(1+\frac{v^{2}}{2}+\cdots)=t+vx+\frac{tv^{2}}{2}+\cdots##.

Using ##x'=x+vt## and ##t'=t+\delta t, \delta t = rx+st+p##,

we have ##t'^{2}-x'^{2}=(t+rx+st+p)^{2}-(x+vt)^{2}##

##t^{2}-x^{2}=((s+1)t+rx+p)^{2}-(x+vt)^{2}##

##t^{2}-x^{2}=(s+1)^{2}t^{2}+2(s+1)(t)(rx+p)+(rx+p)^{2}-x^{2}-2xvt-(vt)^{2}##

##0=(s^{2}+2s-v^{2})t^{2}+r^{2}x^{2}+(2r(s+1)-2v)tx+2p(s+1)t+2rpx+p^{2}##

For the constant term, ##p=0##, so the terms in ##x## and ##t##.

For the term in ##x^2##, we have ##r=0##, so we get a non-zero term in ##xt##.

Where have I made the mistake?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2015 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

your variation of t should depend on v. [itex]\delta t = v(ax+bt)[/itex]. Then be sure you are ignoring terms of order [itex]O(v^2)[/itex].

4. Dec 31, 2015 #3
    Using ##x'=x+vt## and ##t'=t+\delta t, \delta t = v(ax+bt)##,

we have ##t'^{2}-x'^{2}=(t+v(ax+bt))^{2}-(x+vt)^{2}##

##t^{2}-x^{2}=t^{2}+(2av)xt+(2bv)t^{2}-x^{2}-(2v)xt##, from which we deduce that ##a=1,b=0##.

Using ##x'=x+vt +\delta x## and ##t'=t+vx, \delta x = v^{2}(ax+bt)##,

we have ##t'^{2}-x'^{2}=(t+vx)^{2}-(x+vt+v^{2}(ax+bt))^{2}##

##t^{2}-x^{2}=t^{2}+(2v)xt+v^{2}x^{2}-(x+vt)^{2}-2(x)(v^{2}(ax+bt))##

##0=(2v)xt+v^{2}x^{2}-(2v)xt-v^{2}t^{2}-2ax^{2}v^{2}-2bv^{2}xt##, from which we deduce that ##a=\frac{1}{2},b=0##.

Is my approach correct?

5. Dec 31, 2015 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First stage, yes. That's what I got. For the second order expansion, you didn't consider additional variation of t. I'd also suggest using new constants (not a and b again).
    In fact it would be good practice to keep the same definitions of [itex]\delta x[/itex] and [itex]\delta t[/itex] but just extend to higher order in v.

First stage: [itex] \delta x = vt + O(v^2) [/itex] and [itex]\delta t = v(ax+bt)+O(v^2)[/itex] .
    You solved and got a=1, b=0.

Second stage: [itex] \delta x = vt + v^2(c x + d t+O(v^3), \delta t = vx + v^2 (ex + f t)+ O(v^3)[/itex] substitute in, solve for terms and compare with power expansion as instructed.

This format is a suggestion for clarity. You might also use subscripted constants at this stage to keep the alphabet soup in hand. [itex] c_1, c_2, c_3, c_4[/itex] instead of c,d,e,f.

6. Dec 31, 2015 #5
    Alright, I've reworked my solution:

##x'=x+\delta x, t'=t+\delta t##

1st order in ##v##:

##\delta x =vt+\mathcal{O}(v^{2}), \delta t = v(a_{1}x+a_{2}t)+\mathcal{O}(v^{2})##

So, ##t'^{2}-x'^{2}=(t+v(a_{1}x+a_{2}t))^{2}-(x+vt)^{2}##

Using ##t'^{2}-x'^{2}=t^{2}-x^{2}## and expanding the right hand side only to first order in ##v##,

##t^{2}-x^{2}= t^{2}+2tv(a_{1}x+a_{2}t)-x^{2}-2xvt##

##0=(2va_{2})t^{2}+(2va_{1}-2v)xt##

Taking the ##t^2## term, ##2va_{2}=0 \implies a_{2}=0##.

Taking the ##xt## term, ##2va_{1}-2v=0 \implies a_{1}=1##.

2nd order in ##v##:

##\delta x =vt+v^{2}(b_{1}x+b_{2}t)+\mathcal{O}(v^{3}), \delta t = vx++v^{2}(b_{3}x+b_{4}t)+\mathcal{O}(v^{3})##

So, ##t'^{2}-x'^{2}=(t+vx++v^{2}(b_{3}x+b_{4}t))^{2}-(x+vt+v^{2}(b_{1}x+b_{2}t))^{2}##

Using ##t'^{2}-x'^{2}=t^{2}-x^{2}## and expanding the right hand side only to second order in ##v##,

##t^{2}-x^{2}= (t+vx)^{2}+2(t+vx)(v^{2})(b_{3}x+b_{4}t)-(x+vt)^{2}-2(x+vt)v^{2}(b_{1}x+b_{2}t)##

##t^{2}-x^{2} = t^{2}+2tvx+v^{2}x^{2}+2tv^{2}b_{3}x+2tv^{2}b_{4}t-x^{2}-2xvt-v^{2}t^{2}-2xv^{2}b_{1}x-2xv^{2}b_{2}t##

##0=(v^{2}-2v^{2}b_{1})x^{2}+(2v^{2}b_{4}-v^{2})t^{2}+(2v^{2}b_{3}-2v^{2}b_{2})tx##

Taking the ##t^2## term, ##v^{2}-2v^{2}b_{1}=0 \implies b_{1}=\frac{1}{2}##.

Taking the ##x^2## term, ##2v^{2}b_{4}-v^{2}=0 \implies b_{4}=\frac{1}{2}##.

Taking the ##xt## term, ##2v^{2}b_{3}-2v^{2}b_{2}=0 \implies b_{3}=b_{2}##.

Therefore, ##b_{3}## and ##b_{2}## remain undeteremined.

Are my solutions correct?

7. Jan 6, 2016 #6

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think b3 and b2 should be zero. One moment while I trace your work..., yep your expansion and term cancellation is correct. I suppose we must examine the third order terms to solve for these variables. So, with your b1 and b4 values determined expand further, ignoring terms of O(v^4) and higher. (This kinda makes sense, its to second order twice since we have 2 vars each perturbed to within 2nd order.)

[Edit] PS Isn't perturbation expansion fun!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted