Deriving Orbital Motion from Collisions in Travel along Chords

In summary: In that case, the radial momentum is indeed conserved and the solution is correct. In summary, the problem involves inscribing N chords of equal length within a circle of radius r. A body of mass m travels at constant speed v along the chords and is perfectly reflected in each collision with the circle. The radial momentum change per collision is Δp = mvsinθ, where θ is the angle between the tangent and chord. The solution assumes an isolated system with an infinitely massive circle.
LucidLunatic

Homework Statement

Inscribe N chords of equal length within a circle of radius r. A body of mass m travels at constant speed v along the chords and is perfectly reflected in each collision with the circle (there is no momentum change tangent to the circle). Show that the radial momentum change per collision is Δp =mvsinθ, where θ is the angle between tangent and chord.

Homework Equations

Δpr = pr1-pr0

The Attempt at a Solution

We can write
p0 = mvsinθ \hat{r} + mvcosθ\hat{\theta}
p1 = -mvsinθ \hat{r} + mvcosθ\hat{\theta}

therefore Δp = -2mvsinθ.

This seems like a fairly simple problem, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. The later steps of this problem then show that the net centripetal force obeys F = mv^2/r as N→∞, but that depends on getting the correct answer here. What am I missing? Note: this is me going through problems in a book, not an actual homework assignment.

Physics news on Phys.org
LucidLunatic said:

Homework Statement

Inscribe N chords of equal length within a circle of radius r. A body of mass m travels at constant speed v along the chords and is perfectly reflected in each collision with the circle (there is no momentum change tangent to the circle). Show that the radial momentum change per collision is Δp =mvsinθ, where θ is the angle between tangent and chord.

Homework Equations

Δpr = pr1-pr0

The Attempt at a Solution

We can write
p0 = mvsinθ \hat{r} + mvcosθ\hat{\theta}
p1 = -mvsinθ \hat{r} + mvcosθ\hat{\theta}

therefore Δp = -2mvsinθ.

This seems like a fairly simple problem, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. The later steps of this problem then show that the net centripetal force obeys F = mv^2/r as N→∞, but that depends on getting the correct answer here. What am I missing? Note: this is me going through problems in a book, not an actual homework assignment.
I agree with your Δp (except the sign depends on how you care to define +ve direction), and from it I obtain F = mv2/r.

Dumb EE's observation:

The above calculatios (posts 1 and 2) were made under the assumption that the radial component of momentum is also conserved. But that is not stated.

Let M = mass of circle and V be its + radial velocity after collision. Then if the system is isolated form the environment (e.g. on a frictionless horizontal plane):

Assume MV = +3mv sinθ
the answer would be correct, since then for the radial direction

p1 = +mv sinθ
p2 = -mv sinθ + MV = -mv sinθ + 3mv sinθ = 2mv sinθ
so that p2 - p1 = 2mv sinθ - mv sinθ = mv sinθ.

In other words the problem has no solution unless the physical aspects of the circle are defined:

circle's mass
system isolated form the environment or not?
etc.

Comments?

rude man said:
Dumb EE's observation:

The above calculatios (posts 1 and 2) were made under the assumption that the radial component of momentum is also conserved. But that is not stated.

Let M = mass of circle and V be its + radial velocity after collision. Then if the system is isolated form the environment (e.g. on a frictionless horizontal plane):

Assume MV = +3mv sinθ
the answer would be correct, since then for the radial direction

p1 = +mv sinθ
p2 = -mv sinθ + MV = -mv sinθ + 3mv sinθ = 2mv sinθ
so that p2 - p1 = 2mv sinθ - mv sinθ = mv sinθ.

In other words the problem has no solution unless the physical aspects of the circle are defined:

circle's mass
system isolated form the environment or not?
etc.

Comments?
I presumed the exercise related to kinetic theory of gases, so the mass of the circle is effectively infinite.

haruspex said:
I presumed the exercise related to kinetic theory of gases, so the mass of the circle is effectively infinite.

I agree, that makes sense.

1. What is "Deriving Orbital Motion from Collisions in Travel along Chords"?

"Deriving Orbital Motion from Collisions in Travel along Chords" is a scientific concept that explains how the motion of an object in orbit around a larger body can be mathematically derived from the initial velocity and position of the object.

2. What is the significance of this concept in the study of orbital motion?

This concept is significant because it allows scientists to predict and understand the orbital motion of objects in space without physically observing the entire orbit. It also helps in the design and navigation of spacecraft and satellites.

3. How is this concept used in real-world applications?

This concept is used in various real-world applications, including satellite navigation systems, space missions, and orbit calculations for astronomical observations. It also plays a crucial role in the study of celestial mechanics and astrophysics.

4. What are some challenges in applying this concept?

One of the main challenges in applying this concept is accurately determining the initial conditions of the object, such as its initial velocity and position. Small errors in these values can significantly impact the predicted orbital motion. Additionally, this concept assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account external forces, such as gravitational perturbations from other objects.

5. Are there any limitations to this concept?

Yes, there are limitations to this concept. It only applies to objects traveling along chords, which are straight lines connecting two points on a circle. This restricts its application to specific types of orbits, such as circular and elliptical orbits. Additionally, it does not take into account factors such as atmospheric drag, which can impact the orbital motion of objects in low-Earth orbit.