Deriving the Derivative Formula for Inverse of sinx on [-pi/2,pi/2]?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
kathrynag
Messages
595
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Use Inverse Function Thm to derive the formula for the derivative of the inverse of sinx on the interval [-pi,2,pi/2]



Homework Equations


f^-1(f(x))=1/f'(x)



The Attempt at a Solution


1/cosx
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I vaguely remember a formula something like the one you show, but I think you have it wrong. f^(-1)(f(x)) on the left side would simplify to just plain x, and I don't see how that would be equal to 1/f'(x).
 
Or maybe not...

Try this:
y = sin^(-1)(x) [tex]\iff[/tex] x = sin(y)
Now differentiate implicitly with respect to x, getting
1 = cos(y) * dy/dx

Solve for dy/dx, and in the resulting expression, replace y with what it's equal to.