Solve sin(2x) dx + cos(3y) dy = 0, where y(pi/2) = pi/3

  • Thread starter Thread starter 5hassay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dx
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
5hassay
Messages
81
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Solve the equation [itex]\sin(2x) dx + cos(3y) dy = 0[/itex], where [itex]y(\pi/2) = \pi/3[/itex]

Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I understand the process that gets from the original equation to [itex]y = \frac{\arcsin(\frac{3}{2} (\cos(2x) + 1))}{3}[/itex]

However, I don't understand why the answer provided is that but with a small change: [itex]y = \frac{\pi - \arcsin(\frac{3}{2} (\cos(2x) + 1))}{3}[/itex]

I believe it has something to do with the properties of [itex]\sin[/itex], but I just can't see it.

Thank you

EDIT: Removed repeating problem, equations, attempt formats
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When you integrate you obtain a constant term. For example,

[tex]\int{x}dx = \frac{x^2}{2} + C[/tex]

Use the boundary condition to find it.
 
PhysicsGente said:
When you integrate you obtain a constant term. For example,

[tex]\int{x}dx = \frac{x^2}{2} + C[/tex]

Use the boundary condition to find it.

When you say "boundary condition," are you referring to how [itex]y(\pi/2) = \pi/3[/itex]?

If so, I already found the constant [itex]C[/itex] from the integration, namely [itex]C=\frac{1}{2}[/itex]:

Integrating, I got [itex]\frac{1}{3} \sin(3y) = \frac{1}{2} \cos(2x) + C[/itex]

Substituting, I find [itex]0 = -\frac{1}{2} + C \Longrightarrow C = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

In solving, I got the equation in the OP

EDIT: Thanks for the reply