Deriving the Derivative of y=(x^2+1)^4 + 2(x^2+1)^3

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
studentxlol
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A curve has equation [tex]y=(x^2+1)^4 + 2(x^2+1)^3[/tex]. Show that [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=4x(x^2+1)^2(2x^2+5)[/tex].

Homework Equations



[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=(\frac{dy}{du}\times \frac{du}{dx})+(\frac{dy}{dv} \times \frac{dv}{dx})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]y=(x^2+1)^4 + 2(x^2+1)^3[/tex]

[tex]let u = (x^2+1)^4 and v=x^2+1 so that y=u^4+v^3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=4u^3=4(x^2+1)^3 and \frac{du}{dx}=2x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dv}=3v^2=3(x^2+1)^2 and \frac{dv}{dx}=2x[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \frac{dy}{dx}=(\frac{dy}{du}\times \frac{du}{dx})+(\frac{dy}{dv} \times \frac{dv}{dx})=8x(x^2+1)^3+6x(x^2+1)^2[/tex]

Why am I not getting the answer [tex]4x(x^2+1)^2(2x^2+5)[/tex]?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
studentxlol said:

Homework Statement



A curve has equation [tex]y=(x^2+1)^4 + 2(x^2+1)^3[/tex]. Show that [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=4x(x^2+1)^2(2x^2+5)[/tex].

Homework Equations



[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=(\frac{dy}{du}\times \frac{du}{dx})+(\frac{dy}{dv} \times \frac{dv}{dx})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]y=(x^2+1)^4 + 2(x^2+1)^3[/tex]

[tex]let u = (x^2+1)^4 and v=x^2+1 so that y=u^4+v^3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=4u^3=4(x^2+1)^3 and \frac{du}{dx}=2x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dv}=3v^2=3(x^2+1)^2 and \frac{dv}{dx}=2x[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \frac{dy}{dx}=(\frac{dy}{du}\times \frac{du}{dx})+(\frac{dy}{dv} \times \frac{dv}{dx})=8x(x^2+1)^3+6x(x^2+1)^2[/tex]

Why am I not getting the answer [tex]4x(x^2+1)^2(2x^2+5)[/tex]?


WELL YOU HAVE TO FACTOR IT. 8x(x^2+1)^3+12x(x^2+1)^2
IS THE SAME AS 4X [2(X^2+1)^3 +3(X^2+1)^2]...KEEP DOING IT..AT THE END YOU WILL HAVE THE ANSWER

BY THE WAY IT SHOULD BE 12 X NOT 6X
 
I would start by writing
[tex]y=(x^2+1)^4+2(x^2+1)^3= (x^2+ 1)(x^2+ 1)^3+ 2(x^2+ 1)^3= (x^2+ 1)^3(x^2+ 3)[/tex].

Now,
[tex]dy/dx= 3(x^2+ 1)^2(2x)(x^2+ 3)+ (x^2+ 1)^3(2x)[/tex]