Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derren brown:apocalypse

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    A lot of people are saying it was faked and the patient is actually an actor (regardless of what derren said in that YouTube video). What does physicsforums think?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What are you talking about?

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3
  5. Nov 17, 2012 #4
    Holy cow, I hope that's an actor and not a real person they subjected to this. Not to say that actors aren't people, but you know what I mean.

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5
    I have to assume it's fake (he's an actor). If it's not fake, then the amount of work that would go into it would be ridiculous, and there would be a lot of things that could go wrong and ruin the whole thing. Plus the possible legal troubles. And from the wikipedia page "Brown claimed that to keep Steven safe during Apocalypse and in the aftermath (ensuring he doesn't suffer nightmares or posttraumatic stress disorder), there will be a subtle hint embedded deep in Steven's mind that will stop him ending up in mortal fear of such an event and reassuring him", which sounds like so much BS it's not even funny.

So why go through all that when just having him be an actor would be a million times easier? I'm convinced they wouldn't.

7. Nov 17, 2012 #6
    I really enjoy most of Derren Brown's stuff, but these super-elaborate stunts are among his least interesting, in my opinion.

I think the guy was psychologically protected by the fact Brown solicits people for his stunts and they know and have agreed to participate in something, though they know not exactly what. I can't believe in all cases the participants don't soon realize, "Oh, this must be the Derren Brown thing playing out!"

8. Nov 17, 2012 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jerry Brown is even more amazing.

9. Nov 18, 2012 #8
    You never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the public.

10. Nov 18, 2012 #9
    Watch any prank patrol episode.
    They are kids to be fair, but still...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook