Describe Your Look: Share Your Appearance Here!

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
In summary: I have brown eyes and dark brown hair. I'm about 155 cm tall and I usually wear jeans and a T-shirt. I don't really care about my appearance, but I like to dress stylishly.
Larry Gopnik said:
I'll have a go;

I'm Female, 20 (21 soon, I'm feeling old), short dark brown/ black hair, it's so thick I can't have it long or it forms dreadlocks. It's naturally quite ginger but I think I'm the only person in the whole who doesn't suit their natural hair colour. I'm 5'4"/ 164cm, don't know my weight but I'm a UK 8/ US 4. Ethnicity - half Jewish, I'm constantly told I have 'the Jewish look', it differs by person whether that is a compliment or not.
That's an awesome sweater is I ever saw one. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
Larry Gopnik said:
I'll have a go;

I'm Female, 20 (21 soon, I'm feeling old), short dark brown/ black hair, it's so thick I can't have it long or it forms dreadlocks. It's naturally quite ginger but I think I'm the only person in the whole who doesn't suit their natural hair colour. I'm 5'4"/ 164cm, don't know my weight but I'm a UK 8/ US 4. Ethnicity - half Jewish, I'm constantly told I have 'the Jewish look', it differs by person whether that is a compliment or not.

Trust me, 21 is not even remotely old! (coming from someone who is turning 41 this year o0))

At any rate, I find it curious that people tell you that you have "the Jewish look", since from your photo you have quite a "British" vibe, so to speak (and I do intend that as a compliment -- one of my close female friends is British).

[As an aside, I actually thought you were male, given your handle here on PF as "Larry Gopnik" and your profile photo. My apologies for the error.]

StatGuy2000 said:
Trust me, 21 is not even remotely old! (coming from someone who is turning 41 this year o0))

At any rate, I find it curious that people tell you that you have "the Jewish look", since from your photo you have quite a "British" vibe, so to speak (and I do intend that as a compliment -- one of my close female friends is British).

[As an aside, I actually thought you were male, given your handle here on PF as "Larry Gopnik" and your profile photo. My apologies for the error.]

I think whatever age I'll be I'll panic that I'm old. As for the Jewish thing, I just assumed it was my nose at first but I've been told multiple times that I have stereotypical Jewish traits... I don't know.

Coming to the Larry thing;

Larry Gopnik is the main character in one of my favourite films 'A Serious Man', it's dark comedy about a Jewish physicist who finds that everything in his life suddenly goes completely wrong, I felt akin to this.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
That's an awesome sweater is I ever saw one. :approve:

Thank you! The British - we love our tea.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
StatGuy2000 said:
View attachment 105103

Thanks Sophia for being inspired by my (now deleted) post!

As for me, I'm 40 years old (turning 41 in October), although almost everyone says I look younger than my age. I'm 174cm (5'8.5-5'9") tall and fairly lean at about 63.5kg (140lb) with black hair (with a touch of gray) and brown eyes.

Here is a recent picture of me above in downtown Toronto, across from the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). Well, not that recent -- the picture was taken 6 years ago, but I look more or less the same now as I did then. :)
You are tall for your height.

Likes StatGuy2000
My pics in the member photo thread are getting a bit old. Here's one from last spring, visiting a friend in Washington DC:

me-n-al.jpg

Likes dlgoff, Evo, tionis and 4 others
WWGD said:
And... kinda heavy light for your weight .[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldbiggrin:

Last edited:
Likes StatGuy2000, HossamCFD and WWGD
WWGD said:

Perhaps it was the shoes that I was wearing at the time (the height I listed was my measured height while barefoot).

I also have a fairly lean build, which makes me look taller in pictures.

jtbell said:
My pics in the member photo thread are getting a bit old. Here's one from last spring, visiting a friend in Washington DC:

View attachment 105432
What a nice pic. You looks so scholarly.. professorial.. definitely how every professor should look.

If you tried taking a selfie with the sun shining in one eye so you're barely able to see the screen on your phone, I bet you'd look pretty serious too! :oldwink:

What do I look like... huh ?

I've been told that... " you have a face that's more suitable for radio "...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldgrumpy: [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldlaugh:

Likes Sophia and jim hardy
This is me.

Optimized-js1024_P1010255(1).jpg

Likes Logical Dog, Astronuc, Evo and 3 others
PeroK said:
This is me.
[Looks at picture. Looks at avatar.] You like mountains, don't you :wink:

Likes Comeback City and davenn
DrClaude said:
[Looks at picture. Looks at avatar.] You like mountains, don't you :wink:

Yes, since I retired I've done a lot of mountains and learned a little bit of physics!

That photo of me is my only "selfie". I took it on the summit of Luinne Bheinn (a mountain in Knoydart, Western Scotland) last year. One of my several projects was to climb all of the 293 mountains in Scotland over 3,000ft on my own. And that was the last one.

Likes beamie564, ShayanJ, Sophia and 2 others
PeroK said:
That photo of me is my only "selfie". I took it on the summit of Luinne Bheinn (a mountain in Knoydart, Western Scotland) last year. One of my several projects was to climb all of the 293 mountains in Scotland over 3,000ft on my own. And that was the last one.
Impressive. Congrats!

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
..... One of my several projects was to climb all of the 293 mountains in Scotland over 3,000ft on my own. And that was the last one.

WOW, outstanding ... a great personal challenge :smile:

I have enough problems climbing out of bed :-p

Dave

Likes beamie564, OCR and PeroK
PeroK said:
Yes, since I retired I've done a lot of mountains and learned a little bit of physics!

Congratulations! To my way of thinking, that's a great goal to set for yourself. The only time I was in Scotland (1974) I was thinking of climbing Ben Nevis, which is the highest peak in Scotland, but the logistics of getting myself to the trailhead was too much for me, not having any way to get there.

Is the picture in your avatar a peak in Switzerland? It doesn't look like anything in Scotland that I'm aware of.

Mark44 said:
Is the picture in your avatar a peak in Switzerland? It doesn't look like anything in Scotland that I'm aware of.

The mountain in my avatar is Ama Dablam, in Nepal, which I climbed in 2002. Best mountain in the world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ama_Dablam

There's nothing in Scotland quite like that!

Likes davenn and ProfuselyQuarky
5'6' 160 pounds, 50 yrs old, dark hair which is graying quickly, picture is about 8 yrs old when I was camping with my scouts in New Mexico...

upload_2016-9-7_21-34-34.jpeg

Likes davenn, ProfuselyQuarky and Greg Bernhardt
davenn said:
Yeah, I am a Pink Floyd addict :-p
I knew there was a reason I liked you. :bow:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Mondayman and davenn
davenn said:
Yeah, I am a Pink Floyd addict :-pDave

no one better to be addicted to...

Likes dlgoff and davenn
dlgoff said:
Here's a pic @Greg Bernhardt took of me at the 2014 WI Science Festival.

awesome, great to see some science interaction with the kids !

So you would be one of the few that have met our PF leader personally ?Dave

Likes dlgoff
davenn said:
So you would be one of the few that have met our PF leader personally ?
I know there have been others. You'd have to ask @Greg Bernhardt for how many. All I can say is that Greg is an awesome, dedicated leader. From meeting him, I was able to check off one bucket-list item.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Mark44 said:
Which one is you, Don? :oldbiggrin:
The one in yellow. :oldbiggrin:

Likes davenn, jim hardy and Bystander
Mark44 said:

dlgoff said:
Aha! I guessed right!

Likes Sophia, dlgoff and Bystander
Mark44 said:
dlgoff said:
Mark44 said:
Aha! I guessed right!
Precocious kid, isn't he? :cool:

Likes dlgoff
jtbell said:
Precocious kid, isn't he? :cool:
Which one? The little Physicist, Mark, or me?

Come on, it is just a baby girl.